Is Chipping Ok?

Original Post
Graham O. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 1,050

Hi, my name is Graham and I'm a local at Pawtuckaway, NH. Just above Midnight in a Perfect World (in the fire tower area) there is a beautiful 18' slab that has potential to be a mega-classic. But, upon further inspection, the wall is completely blank! I don't have the tools to chip things (I haven't done it before) and I know that this is a very controversial topic in the climbing community, but does anyone have any advice as to what to do? Please keep in mind that I wouldn't be doing it for quite a while if at all. Thanks!

Burcheydawwwwwwg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 375

This was the best you could come up with?

Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 1,873

Use your teeth. Highly effective.

Daniel H. Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 145

If you can get away with it, do it, just don't tell anyone.

Rick01 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Being a local to that area, I would say chipping is NOT okay. There's plenty of other rock out there. I've been climbing there for 20+ years and haven't run out of options to climb/boulder.

Lynn Evenson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

No. Just. No. Don't chip, don't buy the tools, don't even think about it. Go climb something else. Top rope this feature if you absolutely must climb it. But don't touch it beyond that.

Troll?

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Let the strafing begin!

Edit: are you sure it's only unclimbable for you and not others? Maybe it's above your grade. You wouldn't chip hard climbs to make them easier for you.

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 4,765

Not one of your better contributions to MP, Graham. I actually have my suspicions that somebody else may have used your account to bust on you.

Advice if serious: Leave it alone. There are many, many beautiful natural lines to do. The "blank" areas have their own beauty which contrasts and emphasizes that of the natural lines. You would piss off far more people than you would please and the results most likely will look like an abortion.

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0

Chipping is wrong and bad. Did you ever think about glueing holds on?

climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

For sure... Do it... No one has ever gotten shit on for chipping holds... ever.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 12,867

Graham...while your enthusiasm is appreciated, chipping isn't permissible under any circumstances. As stated previously up thread there is lots of potential for new routes in NH that have natural holds without destroying that beautiful featureless slab.

Ben Dubs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 3
Graham O. wrote:Hi, my name is Graham and I'm a local at Pawtuckaway, NH. Just above Midnight in a Perfect World (in the fire tower area) there is a beautiful 18' slab that has potential to be a mega-classic. But, upon further inspection, the wall is completely blank! I don't have the tools to chip things (I haven't done it before) and I know that this is a very controversial topic in the climbing community, but does anyone have any advice as to what to do? Please keep in mind that I wouldn't be doing it for quite a while if at all. Thanks!
Wow, dude, no.
Graham O. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 1,050

Hello all,

Thank you for your insight. I get the vibe, I definitely won't chip it. Just to put things in context, I went to Fire Tower for the first time yesterday. I saw this rock and imagined it as a climb, and I was just curious about the standpoints of others (particularly locals) in a more general scale.

I love Pawtuckaway and don't want to change it one bit. It's clear I offended people, I'm really sorry. I just wanted to get perspectives on both sides of the argument, and now I have one myself.

Thanks much,
Graham

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 163

Is trolling forums OK?

YES

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply