New River Gorge

Original Post
cwright86 · · pittsburgh, PA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

The gf and I are heading early tomorrow, probably going to camp out for a couple days even know it gonna be cold. Weather forecast looks somewhat decent till weds night. We will be hanging around bridge buttress and junkyard wall.

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 770

Call Ray's campground (10 mins from Bridge/junkyard) if you haven't already made plans, and if they haven't shut for the winter. They have nice little basic cabins with space heaters, which makes things much more tolerable. Also, they happen to be the nicest damn people you'll ever meet.

(304) 658-4386

Thanks for the info! I was looking at Chestnut Creek, but I'll def look into Rays, cabins sound alot warmer.

Matt Carroll · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 5

Ray and his wife (her name is slipping my mind) are awesome! They usually have free coffee in the AM too. Super good people.

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 770

Ray and Dren St Claire are the hosts. They were talking about shutting hot water last weekend, but the cabins should be available.

Chestnut is shut for the season. AAC may be available.

AAC is shut down too, sat was there last day.. Hopefully Rays is still open (calling tomorrow morning), if not I'm taking all my winter backpacking gear to stay warm just in case. but if worst comes to worst I have a shit ton of hotel points to use up.

Matt Thomas · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 280

Ray's was open last weekend, fwiw.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 748

AAC shower house is shut down. The sites are still open, but the grounds aren't managed- meaning you'll need to use the drop box and honor system to pay.

AAC shower house is still up. Met a guy that works at water stone store, he's actually living here and said shower house is still going until sometime in dec.

Great day of climbing, was chilly at first then warmed up as the sun came around the bridge. Last day tomorrow

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply