Mountain Project Logo

Racking

Original Post
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 175

do you guys rack multiple cams of a given size on a single biner then clip that biner to your gear sling when doing a big clean route? This is what Chris mac suggests. Seems like a risk to lose a whole size though.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

I never clip more than two cams together. I'll clip doubles together but if there is a third, it wil go on the rack by itself. Four of each will be racked as two doubles.

Alex CV · · Greater NYC area · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 200

I only rack two cams per biner max, and I do so in two adjacent sizes, e.g. blue and green Aliens together. That way if I eyeball the placement and pick the wrong size, I have the next one to try too. Since I carry doubles or close equivalents, if I were to drop a biner I still have one set of the same.

I climb at the Gunks and never climb long splitters so I almost never need more than two of the same size.

- Alex

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348

I clip equivalent sizes together regardless if on a bigwall or a free climb. It really helps keep the rack more compact and in check. It helps a lot if you use notchless biners as notched noses like to hang up on wiregates when unclipping stacked cams. This is more of an issue on a free climb when you need to be quick, but reasonable advice none the less.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply