Mammut Galaxy + Grigri 2 experiences?

Original Post
r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

How does feeding out rope go with a galaxy in a grigri2? I'd rather deliberate interference with the locking to feed out rope not be a constant thing

It may be 10mm but they packed a lot of nylon into there (9-10 UIAA falls, 68g/m, commonly considered quite stiff...). I suspect it's not so great with a gg2.

Yip. This is a very specific question. I don't have a whole lot of rope options around here, nor a whole lot of allowed belay devices at the local gym.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Your gym won't allow an ATC?

I can't get any rope to feed well through any grigri, so much for my patronage, eh?

Best, Helen

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,500
Old lady H wrote:Your gym won't allow an ATC? I can't get any rope to feed well through any grigri, so much for my patronage, eh? Best, Helen
Funny thing about the GriGri2- it has a specific design that kicks in more prominently on fatter ropes with feeding.

Petzl realigned the channel in the GriGri2 to discourage the old belay technique- when testing it, I found if you use the old technique, it was super jerky on anything fatter than about 9.5mm. With the new technique, though, its fine and faster than the original grigri.

Like anything in climbing, competent use takes practice- no one is an expert the second they pick up any device. Most devices on the market, with a few specific exceptions, will handle just about any ropes they are certified for.
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

John, I had a whole grigri no-go thread, so just take my word for it, some of us are not good with them.

OP, since it's a gym, can't you borrow the rope, the gri, or both? I would think anyone would help you try it out, if you just asked.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

The gym allows only grigris and ATCs. I haven't seen anyone with a galaxy to ask them how it goes. There's also a >=9.8mm rope diameter rule...

I had a galaxy long ago, though that was before I used a grigri2.

teece303 · · Highlands Ranch, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 283

I have a Galaxy. Use it with my Gri Gri 1. Partners use it with their Gri Gri 2s. Works fine.

More practice?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply