Forest Fire - Boulder Loop Trail off the Kanc closed

Original Post
wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 64

We drove all the way to North Conway only to discover that Sundown Ledge & everything off the Boulder Loop trail is closed due to a forest fire right now. Prob be open next week & is under control, which is good news! Time for more caffeine & a change of plans! Just wanted to give you all a PSA.

dragons · · MWV, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 600

November 18 I posted information about the closure in the Sundown Ledge area (scroll to the comments area): mountainproject.com/v/sundo...

A ranger told us the area is likely to be closed until Spring, at the earliest. I haven't been back to see if there's any change.

I never look at the area page since I go there all the time. I think the area forum page gets more views.

At any rate, I prob won't be back this year unless we get a freakishly warm day. In which case, I will be sure to call the Ranger station first.

When I was there on 11/19, the rangers seemed to believe the area would be open the following weekend due to all the rain. Also, I thought it was interesting that I smelled no smoke, whatsoever.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40

Another good source for information in the Mt Washington Valley is neclimbs.com.

Thanks, Bill! NEclimbs did actually post about the closure. They also say that it will be open in a week or two. The danger is of burnt trees and falling debris above the cliff.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,575

ww- Sundown can have some really good winter days, especially the Alchohol Wall, nice and sunny.

Hobo Greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 25

Aw man, too bad you drove all that way. There is no climbing outside of sundown.

Hobo Greg wrote:Aw man, too bad you drove all that way. There is no climbing outside of sundown.
Smartass.
dragons · · MWV, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 600

I checked back at the ranger station today and the Boulder Loop trail is still closed. The ranger reiterated that the area will probably not be open till the spring at the earliest.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply