Driving to El Portrero Chico in January

Original Post
LindsayH · Nov 18, 2016 · Kingston, NY · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0
My boyfriend and I are doing the van thing right now and we were thinking about going down to EPC this winter. Am I being overly paranoid in thinking that Americans might not be too welcome in Mexico after this election? Especially in January when Trump takes office? It's the two of us plus a dog, and we'd be driving a big red van with New York plates. Anyone have any issues recently with driving through Mexico?

apoet · Nov 18, 2016 · AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 128
Just slap some Clinton stickers on the van and you're set.

Daniel Siegel · Nov 21, 2016 · Portola, CA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 380
I'm not sure how the election will play into it. I honestly doubt it will.

I've driven to EPC twice now and have had zero issue crossing, getting a vehicle permit, and driving to Hidalgo via the federally controlled highway. In general, I found Hidalgo to be a very safe and friendly community. The value the tourism from climbing. Obviously, don't do dumb foreigner things. The crew that hangs out in EPC every winter are a down to earth and a lot of fun! Stay at Homero's for a more authentic experience. It's a good place for a van too. They tend to be flexible with pricing especially if you stay longer.

Johnathan C · Nov 21, 2016 · Missouri · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 35
No one here is really caring all that much. My Mexican friends have been joking with me about it more than anything.

20 kN · Nov 21, 2016 · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
I'll be driving down there in Jan. My main concern is not getting lost on the roadways. I think you will be fine.

Marcelo Gzz · Dec 2, 2016 · Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 5
LindsayH wrote:My boyfriend and I are doing the van thing right now and we were thinking about going down to EPC this winter. Am I being overly paranoid in thinking that Americans might not be too welcome in Mexico after this election? Especially in January when Trump takes office? It's the two of us plus a dog, and we'd be driving a big red van with New York plates. Anyone have any issues recently with driving through Mexico?
Dear Lindsay,

Thats a funny quote, that Americans might not be too welcome.

I am from Monterrey near EPC, What I recomend you is to cross the border around noon not late and drive all the way to EPC. Even for Mexicans I do not like to cross border late at night. I garanty you that EPC is a very safe place, all gringos are more that welcome!

Have fun!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply