Mountain Project Logo

Best Climbing gym in Philly

Original Post
SCherry · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 647

Anyone got any beta for a visiting climber? Whats the best gym close to the city and why?

Tim Schafstall · · Newark, DE · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,358

The best climbing gym in Philly…is in Delaware (Delaware Rock Gym). About 45-60 minutes south of Center City Philly. Closer if you are in South Philly.

Cleanest, tallest wall, good lead routes, decent route setting, reasonable day rates, free and easy parking, friendly staff and climbers.

PRG owners are good people and The Philly Rock Gym facility in Coatesville (PRG Valley) is also OK, but almost as far from Center City as DRG (maybe longer in bad traffic) and a couple $$ more for a day pass. The PRG Oaks is old school (first gym in Philly) with good bouldering. I have not been to the other PRG facilities, both smaller than the Valley location I think.

Go Vertical is near downtown Philly and may be closest to you, but not nearly as good as PRG Valley or DRG in many ways.

Joe Kain · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

When and how long are you visiting? If you're in the city then really you have two options: Go Vertical and PRG East Falls. I have to admit I've never been to Delaware Rock Gym although my guess is that it will be an unnecessary hike as you're not going to exhaust either of the philly gyms in a few visits.

Go Vertical: Tall walls, a good amount of bouldering. Stiff grades. Routes and problems are re-set pretty frequently. Best choice in the immediate city for lead climbing. Only problem is that about 3/4 of the bouldering will have you climbing under top ropers.

PRG East Falls: Could be a 10 minute drive or a 40 minute drive depending on traffic/your location. I've only been here a few times but it's a great bouldering gym with an endless amount of problems. Top Rope/Lead walls are short and at best an afterthought.

brianszero · · Rogers, Ky · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 21

this ^^^^

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

Elite in Maple Shade, NJ. it is a far superior Bouldering gym than any PRG.
it's 10 minutes from Philly, in NJ.

Cortney L · · Englehood, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 42

PRG east falls was my home gym while i lived in philly.

I really enjoyed the boulder problems there, the people are all cool, and its in a good location.

two thumbs up.

SCherry · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 647

Thanks everyone for your help. Ended up checking out PRG East Falls. Fun bouldering and friendly crowd.

I'm a bit spoiled by all the newer gyms in San Diego and this is definitely an older gym with the older style of indoor climbing (drag pads, taped routes, older structure). Still fun and a great place to get a session in with the right mindset.

Does seem like Philly area is ripe for a brand new, state of the art facility...

Joe Kain · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Glad you had fun! You are correct. Something like the Mesa Rim facilities in Mira Mesa and Mission Valley really do provide a better all around experience than anything you'll find in Philly. The closest gym like that would be one of the newer gyms in NYC. (Cliffs LIC, Brooklyn Boulders) Thankfully, it looks like Philly will be getting a modern gym in 2018.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Best Climbing gym in Philly"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started