Getting robbed SUCKS...


Original Post
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

This last Sunday night my car was stolen from right out front of my buddies apartment complex while we were both sound asleep.. I was extremely upset when I walked outside to find that my car was gone, not because I had a nice car (It was a 91 Honda Accord), but instead because I had all of my climbing gear in the trunk, along with all of my school supplies. Even still I was more upset about the gear that I had been collecting over the last year and a half than my car or my school books.. I felt like crap, and still do, I just had purchased a brand new pair of five ten stonelands and only got the chance to climb in them one time.. I know it's all material things, but it still really sucks getting robbed. Background Story:(My car was broken down for over a year, and just last week I saved up enough money to get my car fixed and registered. I was pretty worried it wouldn't pass smog... But it did! And I was mobile again! I passed the smog test last Thursday and got it registered same day. It was nice having that freedom of a car again, no longer waiting on the public bus. Sunday me and a few buddies went climbing and had a blast! Sunday evening we went back to one of my friends apartments close by and hungout and watched football. Monday morning went outside to head home, and saw the two skid marks where my car use to be.)
I know I shouldn't have left all my stuff in my car.. And I usually wouldn't have, but the one time I did this happened.

Gear that was stolen;
All my quickdraws, my trango cinch, atc, daisychain, climbing pack, nuts, new five ten shoes, my rope, my locking biners, my harnesses and headlamps.

School supplies;
My ipad, my three school books, and a pretty nice graphing calculator.

Made a police report, and now I'm just waiting and hoping for the best!

Nate K · · Richmond, VT · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 170

That sucks man. I hope they catch whoever did it.

ive always wondered what happens to stolen climbing gear. where do they sell it? i mean wouldn't most climbers recognize that somebody who doesn't climb is selling a bunch of gear and get suspicious.

Sam Stephens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 740

Shoot me your info, I've got a few things I can shoot you. Harness, ATC, locker, mocs (if you have big feet), maybe a few slings.

crackatoa Spiesbach · · Boulder,Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 65

I've got a a 3lockers.. and a headlamp.. with you're name on them and some slings if you want them that I don't really use.. PM You're address.. merry xmas

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,040

Not to jump in the fun, but what size shoe do you wear?

Chalk Norris · · Brighton, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 15

What's your address...I got some stuff I can send

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

Man, sorry for your loss. But, what the heck did you do to that'91 Accord - leaving two skid marks without limited slip diff and old ~130HP at the crank is truly impressive!

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 140

pending your car/renter/home insurance, sometimes for a $500 deductible you could get stuff replaced...worth looking into.

Ronbo · · Staunton, VA · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 0

This definitely sucks and I'm sorry to hear it. I had everything I owned stolen last year. Bought a badass truck to haul all my crap back to the beach. Rented a uhaul to tow, loaded my entire apartment into it and stayed at a hotel for the night. Came out in the am and everything was gone. They never found anything. Advice = get renters insurance and document your belongings. Best of luck.

JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Ana Tine wrote: That sucks.... getting robbed feels like a violation. Reminds me of the time someone stole my camera. I didn't care about the camera so much as the SD disk of photos which had some pretty important moments in it, I can't ever capture again. I would have been happy to give them the camera as long as they gave me my SD disk. Was your car insured? Then at least you can get some money back to buy those things again. Sorry about the hassle, and the stuff on your ipad. Also, people still use graphing calculators? wishing they find your car and your stuff in it.
It really did for me, I had never been robbed before so it was really intense haha. I'm sorry to hear that you had your camera stolen, but I know what you mean by saying you would give them the camera as long as you could keep the sd, that's how I felt about my gear.. I finally felt like I had a pretty decent set up going, and I felt like a self sufficient climber, I didn't need to borrow a rope, or harness anymore, I had all my own gear. It was only insured with liability which was a lesson for me as well haha. The insurance company told me they could only cancel my policy for me. Haha! yes I still use a graphing calc, im in stats right now, and it is really helpful, plus I used it for trigonometry last semester. Thanks for the support!
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Nate K wrote:That sucks man. I hope they catch whoever did it. ive always wondered what happens to stolen climbing gear. where do they sell it? i mean wouldn't most climbers recognize that somebody who doesn't climb is selling a bunch of gear and get suspicious.
I was wondering the same thing haha, climbers for the most part look outdoorsy. not like criminals.
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Sam Stephens wrote:Shoot me your info, I've got a few things I can shoot you. Harness, ATC, locker, mocs (if you have big feet), maybe a few slings.
Thanks so much for your support! Very much appreciated. I had a pair of five tens that was a 9 1/2" that fit great, but those stonelands I just had were a 10 1/2" haha I dont know why there was that much of a difference
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
crakatoa wrote:I've got a a 3lockers.. and a headlamp.. with you're name on them and some slings if you want them that I don't really use.. PM You're address.. merry xmas
Thankyou so much for the support!
I sent you a pm
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
amarius wrote:Man, sorry for your loss. But, what the heck did you do to that'91 Accord - leaving two skid marks without limited slip diff and old ~130HP at the crank is truly impressive!
Hahah the marks weren't too impressive, it looked like they took it from reverse to drive really quick and stepped on the gas a little too hard. I was parked in the dirt next to my buddies apartments, so the skid was like a foot long haha.
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Chalk Norris wrote:What's your address...I got some stuff I can send
Thankyou so much for the support,it means a lot!
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Klimbien wrote:pending your car/renter/home insurance, sometimes for a $500 deductible you could get stuff replaced...worth looking into.
I messed up and only got liability on my car, but I'm looking into the renters insurance thing now, Im staying with my older sister and brother in law now and they are renting. So hopefully I run into some luck into that department haha
JonathanP123 · · Victorville, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Ronbo wrote:This definitely sucks and I'm sorry to hear it. I had everything I owned stolen last year. Bought a badass truck to haul all my crap back to the beach. Rented a uhaul to tow, loaded my entire apartment into it and stayed at a hotel for the night. Came out in the am and everything was gone. They never found anything. Advice = get renters insurance and document your belongings. Best of luck.
Dang that's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that, my little 91 honda is nothing compared to what you had stolen. They still haven't recovered anything?? Definitely learned a thing or two about insurance from this experience haha. Thanks again, hope they find your truck/apartment belongings.
20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
JonathanP123 wrote: I messed up and only got liability on my car, but I'm looking into the renters insurance thing now, Im staying with my older sister and brother in law now and they are renting. So hopefully I run into some luck into that department haha
Full coverage does not typically cover gear in the vehicle anyway. The differentiation most insurance companies make is whether the item is permanently installed into the vehicle or not. If it's physically attached to the car and designed to stay there long term, then full coverage would typically cover it. If it's not part of the car, it's not going to be covered most of the time. For that you need renters insurance.
Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,240

I make a point to always bring in my climbing gear and anything else in the car I would miss for this reason. People break into cars in my apartment complex all of the time. You see safety glass piles every other month.

Hope you get your car back and the stuff. You might work directly with the police detail tasked with auditing pawn shop intakes. Some shops are required to report electronically to a database called LEADS. In any case, good luck.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0

I got to ask - what the heck did you do to that '91 Accord? - Leaving TWO skid marks with a stock ~130HP engine when new, AND without limited slip differential is really something.

Cory Furrow · · Blacksburg, VA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

I have a used pair of climbing shoes I found at a crag and no one claimed the on MP. They don't fit me. They are yours, if they fit. What size? I can send photos if you like.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply