Helmet advice needed

Original Post
Jona Dul · · New Milford, CT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

I have a unique handicap when it comes to climbing: i have a hole in the back/base of my skull. i have a birth defect that basically 'needs to breathe' so this helps that. on the downside, i am more vulnerable to catastrophic injury there now. I have vaguely been in the market for helmets for a while now, even though i mostly boulder, but a few of the helmets i've seen are hard shell caps with foam or something extending down behind the head. what i am looking for is a helmet with full coverage of that hard shell, not just on top and sides but also the back too. i've seen a black diamond one recently that may work but i don't know for sure, the vector i think. Does anyone have suggestions on good helmets? price isn't totally an issue i can save up.
thank you for the help, any will help increase my confidence in ability, which has caused me to plateau for a while now. also advice on how to size helmets, as this would be my first

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 748
Joseph Dul wrote: i have a birth defect that basically 'needs to breathe' so this helps that... what i am looking for is a helmet with full coverage of that hard shell, not just on top and sides but also the back too.
Hi Joseph, these two statements are a bit conflicting. Speaking specifically from a Black Diamond standpoint, there are two main types of helmets. There is the cheaper, more durable, Half Dome, which is a hard shell with less ventilation than the other more expensive helmets like the Vector. The main advantage to the Half Dome is that if you actually need to use it, like if you hit your head, it can take more of a beating than the more expensive foam helmets like the Vector- the downside is that there isn't as much ventilation, and it's heavier (and not quite as comfortable in my opinion). That being said, all I've ever owned is a Half Dome and it's served me well.

The Vector is more expensive, but you're paying for light weight and breathability. The construction though, will likely only allow for one serious blow to the head, and after that happens (hope it never does) it's time to retire it. I'm not saying the same isn't true with the Half Dome, one good knock on the head may very well necessitate retiring that one as well, but it's more likely with the Vector. There is another, highly breathable helmet called the Vapor which allows for more ventilation and is essentially the same construction as the Vector.

For reference: Black Diamond helmets

Joseph Dul wrote: also advice on how to size helmets, as this would be my first
They are adjustable and come in two sizes. Small/Medium and Medium/Large. There is a size chart in the link I posted. Hope this helps.
Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 567

Mammut recently made a helmet with a hard plastic top and a foam surrounding the rest of the head, allowing for extra durability on top and wieght savings and extra ventilation on the sides. It's called the Wall Rider and is quite reasonably priced, especially against the Vector, Vapor and Petzl foams. Worth consideration.

Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 55

Most climbing helmets are made for impact to the top of the head, as bicycle helmets are made for impact on the front of the head.
if you need occipital hard shell coverage a ski helmet might do a bit better.

i like my vector though it still rides relatively high to 'base of skull.'

Honestly, a molded helmet to your head could be a good thing for you, and, although pricey, catastrophic injury is too...

outdoorgearlab.com/Ski-Helm...

maybe?

Downtownt wrote:Most climbing helmets are made for impact to the top of the head, as bicycle helmets are made for impact on the front of the head. if you need occipital hard shell coverage a ski helmet might do a bit better. i like my vector though it still rides relatively high to 'base of skull.' Honestly, a molded helmet to your head could be a good thing for you, and, although pricey, catastrophic injury is too... outdoorgearlab.com/Ski-Helm... maybe?
molded like custom made? not a bad idea honestly. and ski helmet seems a bit bulky, but i will keep that in mind for sure. also if the 'need to breathe' part was confusing let me clear it up: my brain needed more space, the defect was the size of part of it. it has that covered now, it has room to function. bringing more air to my head as a must have feature was not what i meant by that.
amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0
Joseph Dul wrote:ski helmets seems a bit bulky, but i will keep that in mind for sure.
WW kayaking helmets are also designed to prevent impacts from multiple directions, perhaps something worth considering if there is access to a good kayaking store in your area.
amarius wrote: WW kayaking helmets are also designed to prevent impacts from multiple directions, perhaps something worth considering if there is access to a good kayaking store in your area.
there are! i just looked at some, those seem nearly perfect! i just wonder if they could stand a fall from boulder height to hard ground or even rock. either way, thats the closest i've come to what i want in coverage
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120
Joseph Dul wrote: there are! i just looked at some, those seem nearly perfect! i just wonder if they could stand a fall from boulder height to hard ground or even rock. either way, thats the closest i've come to what i want in coverage
Hey, kayakers don't just shoot off cliffs (for fun), they get up to speed beforehand! Probably a great place to look.

By the way, snow kayaking exists, at least here.

Helen
Glen Prior · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

BMX helmets

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0
Joseph Dul wrote: i just wonder if they could stand a fall from boulder height to hard ground or even rock.
Of course they can. WW kayaking has splintered, when you shop try to look for helmets recommended for creeking, but not full face. Stay away from anything that suggests playboating as the primary activity.
How fun is creeking ? - think about wearing shoulder pads and elbow protection in addition to full face helmet. Gloves typically have knuckle protectors built in.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply