Hip stretch?

Original Post
jnrose5 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

I need some suggestions for some stretching and/or strengthening exercises for my hips.

Pretty much every time I climb and get into a stemming situation, where my feet are even just slightly than my shoulders, the outside of my hips (on one side, or sometimes both sides at the same time) cramp up. Stemming is supposed to be a relatively restful position, but I'm now to the point where it has pretty much the opposite effect. I'm certainly not the most flexible person, and I also spend a lot of time running, meaning that I don't regularly exercise or stretch the outside of my hips.

Help me, wise minds of Mountain Project. My ass needs you. Do you know of specific stretching or strengthening exercises that target this area? What am I missing?

Kris Grano · · highland, ca · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 5

https://www.onnit.com/academy/top-4-hip-exercises-to-increase-hip-strength-alleviate-back-pain/

I do this twice a week and I really like it.

andrew.reed · · Manitou Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25

Google half pigeon yoga pose

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
andrew.reed wrote:Google half pigeon yoga pose
This one is fantastic. Just remember to keep increasing the time you hold the pose and adjust your positioning. Coming out of this go into half frog to as an intermediary position.

Also other good ones are frog squat and horse, but you can also get similar effects from the basic warrior positions. Just make sure to square your hips.

Hell just do yoga. It literally made my body a thousand times better overall, and that's just going like 1x a week. Go more often and you'll start seeing your strength and balance increase. Even what I could lift in they gym jump up exponentially.
DEF · · Boston, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 55
andrew.reed wrote:Google half pigeon yoga pose
^ This. Also - check out the exercises on the mountain athlete site mtntactical.com/category/ex...

They have videos for all exercises there and there are a number of hip stretch/mobility/strengthening
Jon Nelson · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,695

I once saw Yuji Hirayama do this, and I've found that it got me up some boulder problems I couldn't do before.

Simply stretch the muscles immediately before climbing.

I practice quick stretching of my hips. The point is not to be generally more flexible, but to be able to stretch out quickly when I need to. Freshly stretched muscles seem to lose their flexibility within about an hour, so it is important to be able to do the stretch quickly at the base of the route or problem.

If I have a carpeted or padded floor, I sit, spread my legs, and work to bring my chest down to the floor. Being somewhat dynamic and cycling through a motion, pushing further each time. Holding a max position helps. Then, keep moving the legs further apart and repeating. Find your own routine that gets you to the point you want the fastest and expect some temporary pain while stretching.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply