Mt. Borah Winter Acent?

Original Post
zach cook · Nov 15, 2016 · Boise, ID · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 100
Has anyone climbed Mt. Borah in the winter? Id imagine its just a terrible slog with poor avalanche conditions....but I figured Id feel it out first.

Cheers!

dave bingham · Nov 15, 2016 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 56
Yes, me and Rob Landis once did a winter ski / hike during a major winter storm. Sketchy avalanche conditions, glazed rock, high winds and driving wet snow. We skied to just below Chicken Ridge, then hiked in our tele boots. I recall the word that summed up the trip was "Himalayan". We both got frost nip on our ears despite multiple layers.Good fun if you're into that kind of thing! The trip home on gnarly roads was almost as much of an epic as the hike!

Old lady H · Nov 15, 2016 · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 40
Sent a pm.

zach cook · Nov 15, 2016 · Boise, ID · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 100
Thanks Dave, great insight! And glad you embraced the suck!

Tod Gunter · Dec 8, 2016 · Hailey, ID · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 10
Tried it once. Won't be going back. Got past CO ridge but waist deep wallowing in high avy terrain turned us around. We even had bluebird skies so hats off to Dave and Rob for making it happen.

Doug Colwell · Dec 8, 2016 · Boise, ID · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 5
The route up CO Ridge isn't bad at all. It's best once snow has set up which is never very deep. A couple of tricky spots approaching and on CO Ridge. Weave around to find easiest way. Cross the gully / notch below the Ridge line on the north or summit side. Follow trails to summit. Don't glissade down into basin between CO and summit, it's killed at least one. No need for crampons or a rope. Ski poles most useful. North face has several routes, all on ice at some point, all ranges of difficulty. Skis on CO RIDGE Route may be possible but snow rarely is deep enough to ski to valley. The notch 600' below the summit is a fun place to bicycle if you want an alpine setting. Enjoy.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply