Weekend in Denver


Original Post
Chad Miller · Nov 14, 2016 · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Wife and I will be spending Thanksgiving weekend in Denver. I'm looking for suggestions of non climbing things that we must see and or do. This will be our first trip to the city so we're open to nearly anything.

Any of you locals have ideas?

Anthony O · Nov 14, 2016 · Northern CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
Museum of natural history.

Mike Lane · Nov 14, 2016 · Centennial, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 210
The Botanic Gardens has a light display I think starts that weekend. General hanging out and walking, there's LoHi for grub, Museum of Contemporary Art, Union Station, some parks and pedestrian bridges, River North. The Mall is innundated with homeless. Denver University hockey is ranked #1 I think I heard, catch a game. Avs or Nuggets tix should be cheap because they both suck. There are several concert venues, not sure who's coming.

Nicholas Aretz · Nov 14, 2016 · Lakewood, Colorado · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5
Wait, what? You have never been to Denver?

Well the things already mentioned are good ideas. Just search online and you will find plenty of articles on happenings around Denver.

As you know I'm not a local but more of a transplant, so I can't say much.

If there is a show you are interested in at Red Rocks make sure you go. Not sure if there are concerns this late in the year though.

Victor K · Nov 15, 2016 · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 135
Check out Denver Center for the Perfoming Arts. There are numerous cultural events. Have a drink at the Cruise Room (really, have a drink at the Cruise Room!) Visit The Source and try a sour beer flight at Crooked Stave, the best bread ever at Babette's, street tacos at Comida. Visit the Christmas Market at Skyline Park and go skating at the seasonal ice rink there. Go to the REI flagship store. Have a short rib sandwich at Mercantile in the Union Station (contender for best sandwich of all time, seriously). Get a day pass for the B-cycle and ride all over town. Like independent cinema? Go to The Sie Film Center or any of the four Landmark Theatres in town. The Mayan is a minor architectural gem. Have deep pockets? Go shopping in the Cherry Creek neighborhood. Many outdoor clothing lines have stores there (Arcteryx, Marmot, North Face etc.). Need a costume for next Halloween? Check out Flossy McGrew's. Like euro board games? Don't miss Dragon's Chest. Like antiques? South Broadway. Need a workout? Movement Climbing Gym. Visit Red Rocks and go for a hike. Do a tour of the U.S. Mint.
That should keep you busy.

Mike Lane · Nov 15, 2016 · Centennial, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 210
Victor K wrote:Check out Denver Center for the Perfoming Arts. There are numerous cultural events. Have a drink at the Cruise Room (really, have a drink at the Cruise Room!) Visit The Source and try a sour beer flight at Crooked Stave, the best bread ever at Babette's, street tacos at Comida. Visit the Christmas Market at Skyline Park and go skating at the seasonal ice rink there. Go to the REI flagship store. Have a short rib sandwich at Mercantile in the Union Station (contender for best sandwich of all time, seriously). Get a day pass for the B-cycle and ride all over town. Like independent cinema? Go to The Sie Film Center or any of the four Landmark Theatres in town. The Mayan is a minor architectural gem. Have deep pockets? Go shopping in the Cherry Creek neighborhood. Many outdoor clothing lines have stores there (Arcteryx, Marmot, North Face etc.). Need a costume for next Halloween? Check out Flossy McGrew's. Like euro board games? Don't miss Dragon's Chest. Like antiques? South Broadway. Need a workout? Movement Climbing Gym. Visit Red Rocks and go for a hike. Do a tour of the U.S. Mint. That should keep you busy.
Sounds like you work for the Denver Chamber of Commerce

Victor K · Nov 15, 2016 · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 135
Nope. Just know how to have fun. And I couldn't sleep.

Shop tech · Nov 15, 2016 · Golden, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 30
Come check out the Denver Art Museum- an awesome Star Wars costume exhibition just opened.

Chad Miller · Nov 15, 2016 · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Well he hitting up the Denver Museum for certain.

LoDo for food and drink will happen several times I think.

A trip to a gear store for new climbing shoes is also a given.

Well be checking out the capitol building at night to see all the lights.

sadie · Nov 15, 2016 · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
I second the recommendation to check out Union Station and grab a pastry or a sandwich at the Mercentile. If it's nice, have a drink on the roof top patio of Linger or head to Avanti. If you're a foodie, there are so many restaurants to try, but Root Down (and its sister Vital Root), Work and Class, or the Populist are some of my favorites, as is the Spicy Chicken Ramen at Uncle's (if you want more food recommendations, let me know). Head to any brew pub (Highland Tap and Burger, Denver Beer Co, Great Divide, Prost, Jagged Mountain...).

As for activities, browse through the Tattered Cover book store. I second the Denver Art Museum (different from the Museum of Contemporary Art) or strolling down the Sante Fe arts district, renting bikes through B-cycle, and the Botanic Gardens (only if you go for the lights exhibit at night). You could check out what's playing at El Chapultepec or Denver's Comedy Club (or Impulse Improv at the Wynkoop Brewery). Have fun!

Alex Ghiggeri · Nov 15, 2016 · Denver, Colorado · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5
As one of the chefs at Mercantile, I too agree you should stop by for a breakfast pastry or a killer lunch sandwich... but if there is time and money in the budget come for dinner and be blown away by the food.

PS. thanks everyone for the mercantile love!!

Anthony O · Nov 15, 2016 · Northern CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
Chad Miller wrote:A trip to a gear store for new climbing shoes is also a given.
Go to Wilderness Xchange! Support local business. They also probably have more shoes than REI and tons of gear/clothing that's harder to find plus consignment options as well.

If you're a fan of Iggy Pop and the Stooges the Landmark Mayan is showing 'Gimme Danger' a documentary about them.

Aleks Zebastian · Nov 15, 2016 · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0
Chad Miller wrote:Wife and I will be spending Thanksgiving weekend in Denver. I'm looking for suggestions of non climbing things that we must see and or do. This will be our first trip to the city so we're open to nearly anything. Any of you locals have ideas?
climbing friend,

if you are not climbing, it is a waste of time. squeeze the boulders, touch the rocks.

Stich · Nov 15, 2016 · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,230
Yes to Botanic Gardens. The cold probably hasn't killed the plants from summer and fall, so it should be very nice. The indoor plants are nice year round of course. It's quiet and you can have a nice day walking around and talking to a friend.

No to Museum of Natural History. It's designed for children with short attention spans and many of the exhibits consist of doors to endlessly open so you can read short sentences. Compare this experience to a click-bait website. The space exhibit is especially guilty of this design. The mineral exhibit is nice, as are the dioramas of animals with stunning background paintings. It is also typically very crowded with busloads of kids yelling and running around, probably bored by the broken exhibits. Half of the stuff I tried to operate in the space exhibit was inoperable rubble.

And, you can never go wrong walking around Washington Park and getting some ice cream at Bonnie Brae.

Rick Blair · Nov 15, 2016 · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 163
If you want a more Urban flavor check out the bum fights, gang bangers and near misses with aggressive shuttle bus drivers on the 16th street mall.

Best Restaurant that is unique to Denver, Vesta's Dipping grill on Blake near Coor's field.

The foodie scene is generally centered on 17th Ave between Downtown and City Park. There are several Food Network chef owned restaurants in that area.

Hipster scene is North of Downtown on Larimer St and starting on Brighton Blvd. Bring your rolled up skinny jeans and ear gauges.

Best neighborhood restaurant scene is probably the Highlands.

Check out Red Rocks amphitheatre near Morrison. Rock formations and music history and some great hiking nearby.

Feel free to PM me if you want any specifics.

Chad Miller · Nov 15, 2016 · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Aleks Zebastian wrote: climbing friend, if you are not climbing, it is a waste of time. squeeze the boulders, touch the rocks.
Because I'm 250 pounds and don't want to buy a $400 crash pad.

Chad Miller · Nov 15, 2016 · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Any of you recommend a good traditional archery shop in the area as well? A long shot I know but what the hell.

Stich · Nov 15, 2016 · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,230
Chad Miller wrote:Any of you recommend a good traditional archery shop in the area as well? A long shot I know but what the hell.
Intrigued, as I am new to archery. What constitutes a good traditional shop? Mom and pop sort of deal? In any case, there are at least three major stores in the Denver area you can investigate, some with indoor ranges.

Chad Miller · Nov 15, 2016 · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Carys reputable brands of recurve and long bows.

Has experienced staff that understands and shoots traditional bows.

Has the heavier weight arrow shaft and points that are used with these bows.

Stich · Nov 15, 2016 · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,230
Chad Miller wrote:Carys reputable brands of recurve and long bows. Has experienced staff that understands and shoots traditional bows. Has the heavier weight arrow shaft and points that are used with these bows.
Nice. I have a recurve, myself. I got it with the idea my daughter would start using it when she gets older as well. We have a neighborhood archery range that is free.

Chad Miller · Nov 15, 2016 · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Well if you'd like some tips just let me know!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply