Mountain Project Logo

Kong Slyde, as an alternative to the Petzl Connect Adjust

Rprops · · Nevada · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 2,422

You can either do a 2 handed move to feed the rope back through, or you can tilt the slyde at a specific angle, with a thin enough rope, and extend it.

Jeff K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 205

Now that my Kong Slyde has finally arrived, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where to get a short length of new 9mm dynamic rope, or rope by the foot, besides cutting some off of an existing rope that I may have.

duggk Kwan · · arlington · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 110
JeffMK wrote:Now that my Kong Slyde has finally arrived, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for where to get a short length of new 9mm dynamic rope, or rope by the foot, besides cutting some off of an existing rope that I may have.
i got mine here stores.ebay.com/rwrope?_rdc=1 i bought like a 40 ft piece. i sold the last piece i had to another member here
sfotex · · Sandy, UT · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 225

Why not just use a purcell prusik?

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Interesting, I like it.

I ave used one of these while aiding:
kong.it/en/2-products/items…
Pretty much the same thing but weaker and a hook. I used it with 6mm, thinner than recommended - occasionally it slips and I freak out until I hit the stopper knot
This failure mode with too thin cord is reminiscent of what can happen with guide plates where the top strand and bottom strand invert places. I don't lose all friction when it happens but it is a fast slip.

duggk Kwan · · arlington · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 110
Kong slyde
This is my setup. The short loop is for extending a rappel. If I want to clip 2 points I will extend with a draw or sling off the small loop
Jeff K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 205
duggk wrote: i got mine here stores.ebay.com/rwrope?_rdc=1 i bought like a 40 ft piece. i sold the last piece i had to another member here
Thanks for the tip on this. Unfortunately, right now the cheapest option is $57 for a 89ft length. Any other ideas, sites, or members that have lengths to sell would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Child · · Starksboro · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

After not finding a suitable configuration for the Kong Slyde on the net, here is a photo and notes of my rigging.

It is basically similar to the Petzl Dual Connect Adjust in configuration and use.  One thing I like about it over the Petzl is that the 9mm rope is passed thru both loops of the harness and not thru the belay loop.  The rope can also be replaced for a fraction of the cost of the Petzl while re-using the Slyde devise. So much better than my old girth hitched slings method.  I also simply clip the belay / rappel biner to the belay loop when belaying without removing it from the lanyard making the possibility of dropping the belay device near zero.

So far so good!!!

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Chris Child wrote:

After not finding a suitable configuration for the Kong Slyde on the net, here is a photo and notes of my rigging.

It is basically similar to the Petzl Dual Connect Adjust in configuration and use.  One thing I like about it over the Petzl is that the 9mm rope is passed thru both loops of the harness and not thru the belay loop.  The rope can also be replaced for a fraction of the cost of the Petzl while re-using the Slyde devise. So much better than my old girth hitched slings method.  I also simply clip the belay / rappel biner to the belay loop when belaying without removing it from the lanyard making the possibility of dropping the belay device near zero.

So far so good!!!

Why have a separate strand for the belay device as opposed to just an alpine butterfly or fig8 on a bight on the strand that goes to the slyde. Seems like you would have a strand just dangling while you're actually climbing. 

Chris Child · · Starksboro · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15
eli poss wrote:

Why have a separate strand for the belay device as opposed to just an alpine butterfly or fig8 on a bight on the strand that goes to the slyde. Seems like you would have a strand just dangling while you're actually climbing. 

As stated, it is the same configuration as the Petzl Dual Connect Adjust.  When going on rappel for example, you use the Slyde lanyard to anchor off while setting up the short lanyard with the rappel device.  Once securely on rappel, un-clip the Slyde lanyard from the anchor and off you go.  I simply clip both ends to opposite sides of my harness when not in use.  So far they have not gotten in the way or been accidentally clipped.

Daniel LaSoup · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2022 · Points: 0
duggk Kwan wrote:  This is my setup. The short loop is for extending a rappel. If I want to clip 2 points I will extend with a draw or sling off the small loop

Hi, I like your setup, but I'm a bit confused from the figure 8 variation on the left, which makes two loops, each on different end of the knot. Could you please explain how to tie it? I couldn't figure it out from the photo. 

Brocky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Looks like the figure 8 on a bight was tied with a long tail, and the additional loop was formed by rethreading the end back through the knot.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Kong Slyde, as an alternative to the Petzl Conn…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started