Mountain Project Logo

Looking for a big pack for 2 week trip

Original Post
John Gassel · · Boston, MA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 573

Does anyone have some suggestions for a big expedition pack for a 2 week trip? It's not cold weather, but will need climbing gear, food, tent, etc. for a 2 week backcountry trip.

Looking at the Arc'Teryx Altra 85 and the Mountain Hardwear BMG 105

Open to other suggestions. Thanks!

Joe Prescott · · Fort Collins · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 15

Not sure how "modern" of a pack you need, but I've got a Lowe Alpine Kanga Himal that is several years old but in good/great shape that I'd let go for $65 + shipping.
Joe

Sorry, should have specified the distance and type of hiking.

This trip will be a ~ 4 hour approach. Pretty good trail from what I can gather. We're heading to Frey, Argentina.

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 50

There's plenty of 100 liter plus sized packs out there - check out some of the stuff on climbing Denali maybe - with today's modern equipment packs there have gotten smaller but in the past the huge packs were all out there. And don't neglect the rigid frame stuff - some of those carry really well. Packs are highly personal in my experience - I (and several salesmen at a well known outdoor store) could not get one of the most popular packs (85 liters) to fit me even in the store while I threw on another companies pack and it was instant heaven. Go to a store and try them out with a load. Buying a pack is kind of like buying shoes - what one person loves just may not work that well on the next person.

nomadian · · MA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 20

Hey John,

I have a Denali Pro that Brydie would be happy if I parted with. It's 100+L, heavy but it sure is a beast for carrying big loads.

Cheers!
Damon

I just got back from the trip and I wanted to update here before I forgot.

Ended up going with the haul bag approach. It gave me a reason to get a haul bag that I've been wanting to buy anyways. Got the Metolius Half Dome. Stoked to have it, but what a bad decision for this trip!

It was awful to carry for 4 hours. All of the weight was on my shoulders and it was brutal. It was less bad when the load was lighter, but the heavy load was a sufferfest.

My buddy had a BD Mission 75 and I was super envious. I should have went with a regular style pack that carried weight well. Live and learn!

P.S. Hey Damon! Thanks for the offer by the way.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 650

Nothing to add, but that sounds like a rad trip.

Yeah, it was an awesome place Nick! I'll try to post some route info an general beta for others while it's fresh in my mind.

I was carrying probably 100-110L of stuff. It was mostly due to the fact that I had the space. If I was constrained a slightly smaller ~80L pack I could have done a better job packing it and keeping things like rope, etc. on the outside and making it work.

That's a good point about swapping out the waist belt, I'm sure that would have helped. Oh well, live and learn!

Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 380

Did my best to carry my share by taking the dense stuff and lashing anything and everything to the outside of my 75+. Feel I did my part. :-) John's too modest to say that he did the hike in with food poisoning... beast mode.

shoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 75
Emmett Lyman wrote:Did my best to carry my share by taking the dense stuff and lashing anything and everything to the outside of my 75+. Feel I did my part. :-) John's too modest to say that he did the hike in with food poisoning... beast mode.
Food poisoning is basically cheating for going light and fast and frequent.
Emmett Lyman wrote:Did my best to carry my share by taking the dense stuff and lashing anything and everything to the outside of my 75+. Feel I did my part. :-) John's too modest to say that he did the hike in with food poisoning... beast mode.
You did more than your part dude! I wouldn't have made it otherwise, regardless of the pack.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply