Mountain Project Logo

Declining Forums

Original Post
Zach Wahrer · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 4,440

I hesitate to even post this, mainly because I'm lazy, non-confrontational, and feel my opinion means little. However, I think it's worth saying that the forums are really taking a dive in terms of quality and readability.

There is so much negativity, trolling, flaming, and shitposting going on that I can't stand to get involved in the forums anymore. I was never an avid poster, but I've definitely read a lot over the course of my time on the Proj. With the way things are / have been going, I'm more likely to go to Reddit or some place else for climbing related discussions. I try to find the good stuff to read on MP, but it is hard.

I get it is a community, and a community is only as good as its members, but I think most of the good stuff is getting drowned in shit. Anyway, as I said, I don't really expect this post to do much, just wanted to let admins / owners know they are losing people. I encourage you to consider doing more moderation. The shitposters and trolls are dragging things down.

I will continue using and contributing to the route database, but it's really sad to lose what was once a cool place for climbing discussions.

El Gato · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

It's turning into Supertopo. Which is like Fox News

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I love this place. So much info so much experience so many great people. Such good deals.. I read it every day

Eric Carlos · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 40
El Gato wrote:It's turning into Supertopo. Which is like Fox News
Fair and Balanced?
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Zach Wahrer wrote:I hesitate to even post this, mainly because I'm lazy, non-confrontational, and feel my opinion means little. However, I think it's worth saying that the forums are really taking a dive in terms of quality and readability. There is so much negativity, trolling, flaming, and shitposting going on that I can't stand to get involved in the forums anymore. I was never an avid poster, but I've definitely read a lot over the course of my time on the Proj. With the way things are / have been going, I'm more likely to go to Reddit or some place else for climbing related discussions. I try to find the good stuff to read on MP, but it is hard. I get it is a community, and a community is only as good as its members, but I think most of the good stuff is getting drowned in shit. Anyway, as I said, I don't really expect this post to do much, just wanted to let admins / owners know they are losing people. I encourage you to consider doing more moderation. The shitposters and trolls are dragging things down. I will continue using and contributing to the route database, but it's really sad to lose what was once a cool place for climbing discussions.
You signed up 7 years ago and have made only 89 posts in that time.
Instead of complaining about the current content or lack thereof, why don't *you* start some climbing threads that you'd like to talk about?
Zach Wahrer · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 4,440
Marc801 wrote: You signed up 7 years ago and have made only 89 posts in that time. Instead of complaining about the current content or lack thereof, why don't *you* start some climbing threads that you'd like to talk about?
Because when I started, I didn't have much experience to add. A few of those years, I didn't have consistent internet access or time to post. Now, I see how threads spiral downward and really don't have a desire to get involved. I don't have time to dig through pages of shitposts and thread drift to find the what little quality content is there. At this point, I'd rather spend my effort contributing to the route database, which is actually positive.
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

Hey, Zach, if you read this place much, you know that sometimes great discussions show up in the middle of almost any thread.

I agree, it has been less fun lately, but a lot of people are/were pretty keyed up over the neverending election crap, the ugliest in my memory. And I remember LBJ being sworn in.

So, bother with it, or not. That's our choice, not other folks' responsibility. I will say I have personally flagged people I thought were over the line, twice, and let them know I did so and why.

Just my opinion, but if you (anyone) choose not to participate in a constructive way, you have revoked your right to grumble in the hearing of those who do try.

And, because you grumbled, I clicked on your page (curious about you), found you write sci-fi, which is a genre I greatly enjoy! Weirdly, though, when I clicked your web link, it dumped me into my own page. Who knew I'm a created entity??

Best, Helen (and I'll try to hunt up your writing)

See? Thread drift! Yay!

patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25

It would help alot if some forums weren't displayed on the front page. The WTB and WTS threads just take up valuable space.

And as far considering somebody's mountain project profile as a complete picture of somebody's climbing activities that is laughable. Serious plenty of people don't give a crap about logging their climbs.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
patto wrote:It would help alot if some forums weren't displayed on the front page. The WTB and WTS threads just take up valuable space.
You know you can hide "For Sale" posts, right?
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549
patto wrote:It would help alot if some forums weren't displayed on the front page. The WTB and WTS threads just take up valuable space. And as far considering somebody's mountain project profile as a complete picture of somebody's climbing activities that is laughable. Serious plenty of people don't give a crap about logging their climbs.
Can't you just choose to hide the "For sale" forum? (Frank beat me to this!)

And I think Dave's point was that Zach had contributed a lot to the route database, so criticizing Zach for complaining about, but not contributing to the discussion forum, might be unfair.
I don't think it had anything to do with his tick list.
patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25
FrankPS wrote: You know you can hide "For Sale" posts, right?
No.... Thanks! :-)

This thread has now helped me!
mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Dave Schultz wrote: 89 posts ... and ... 201 routes plus 64 areas... I guess we should take a lesson from you, Marc? And your nearly 700 posts per year, yet zero route additions and zero area additions? Too busy spraying garbage instead of climbing? Oh, I forgot, you climb 5.14d; and you are the ONLY person to give High E one-star.
Oh shit. Way to get to it.
s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

OP, Start a thread that contributes in a direction you would like to see.
Whining about lack of great content without adding any yourself is kinda like masturbating in a brothel.

Lady H has it right. Any thread worth returning to always contains a nugget or two.

And, it's good to remember these are all actual, more or less live bodies on here. Who may be, shall we say, relaxing at the time they post? And there is no inflection, body language, etc. to let you know sarcasm, say, from scathing?

And, THE OBVIOUS, we are climbers. Usually rather bright, often creative, definitely quirky, and.....really, really full of ourselves. A wee, teensy, bit opinionated now and then, not that we'd ever argue. Well, except when we are obviously correct. Or we are bored. Or...

OLH, who has been dubbed Elena more than once.

BWA

HA

HA.

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 745
Old lady H wrote:And, it's good to remember these are all actual, more or less live bodies on here. Who may be, shall we say, relaxing at the time they post? And there is no inflection, body language, etc. to let you know sarcasm, say, from scathing? And, THE OBVIOUS, we are climbers. Usually rather bright, often creative, definitely quirky, and.....really, really full of ourselves. A wee, teensy, bit opinionated now and then, not that we'd ever argue. Well, except when we are obviously correct. Or we are bored. Or... OLH, who has been dubbed Elena more than once. BWA HA HA.
What is it we were saying ?

If the shoe fits!

You know me all to well

I had called Zachary a. hypocrite
and that it was ironic that he was blind to his post being the problem.
But that opens myself up to defending my stupid toes. . And no one wants to hear that
Call the
Wahhhh-bulance and keep lurking you have nothing to add!
mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Man, masturbating in a brothel sounds incredibly depressing.

Michael, please get over your foot fetish. Well, or not. :-)

Zach, I do not think you are a hypocrite. If this place annoys you because the floors so dirty, get out a broom. These ding dongs really do slip up and play nice often enough, and someone who can add to it would be most welcome.

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 745

I've just offered those magic shoes to some other person , I hope that it is not taken
as a 'mikro'-aggression!
youtu.be/_qbOfnbeH84

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Zach Wahrer wrote:I hesitate to even post this, mainly because I'm lazy, non-confrontational, and feel my opinion means little. However, I think it's worth saying that the forums are really taking a dive in terms of quality and readability. There is so much negativity, trolling, flaming, and shitposting going on that I can't stand to get involved in the forums anymore. I was never an avid poster, but I've definitely read a lot over the course of my time on the Proj. With the way things are / have been going, I'm more likely to go to Reddit or some place else for climbing related discussions. I try to find the good stuff to read on MP, but it is hard. I get it is a community, and a community is only as good as its members, but I think most of the good stuff is getting drowned in shit. Anyway, as I said, I don't really expect this post to do much, just wanted to let admins / owners know they are losing people. I encourage you to consider doing more moderation. The shitposters and trolls are dragging things down. I will continue using and contributing to the route database, but it's really sad to lose what was once a cool place for climbing discussions.
You're not the only one.
jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

If you want to go to the Reddit echo chamber feel free; it has and always will be a garbage website.

T Roper · · DC,VA,NM,UT,CT,MA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 860
jmmlol wrote:If you want to go to the Reddit echo chamber feel free; it has and always will be a garbage website.
Reddit mods had to suspend bearbreeders account because of constant fighting, that still makes me LOL
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply