Best BD Shell?

Original Post
Hayden Webster · · Estes park · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Hey climbers!
Looking at buying a black diamond hard shell jacket for the upcoming season... I've been looking at the Liquid Point specifically, anybody have one that they can give me an honest pros and cons list for? Or can you recommend another black diamond Hardshell? My main uses will be alpine and ice climbing.
Thanks everyone!

Goodhue · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

I have the Mono Point shell. Super light, but lightweight durability. After a pitch of grovelly granite with some chimney, it had a couple small holes in it, which is not unexpected from a lightweight shell.

I still like it, and continue use it as an alpine rock climbing shell, where I think the weather will be good but I want some weather protection in case things get nasty. For that, it is excellent.

If was expecting to be climbing in it all day, I would choose something else more durable. Also, I am now more careful with it when climbing rock.

Andrew Maver · · NH · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

I've got the old version which I use for alpine terrain and ice climbing. The other week I climbed some very early season ice in which there was an active, rushing waterfall that I had to climb alongside of and occasionally in and this shell kept me 100% dry. Easily one of my top recommended pieces of gear.

Hayden Webster · · Estes park · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks you guys!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply