Mountain Project Logo

I Stand With You

Original Post
JSlack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 155

I just want to say to all the non-white, LGBTQ, non-Christian, immigrant climbers on this forum that I stand with you and I hope you feel that you can turn to the climbing community for support as we enter what promises to be a very scary time.

This thread ( mountainproject.com/v/post-…) really disappointed me. The OP made a sincere statement looking for support from this community and he was met with ‘whitesplaining’ and hate speech. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. More so now than ever before (in my lifetime).

When someone from a group in Trump’s crosshairs tells you they feel endangered, you have no right not to believe them. As a white person, you likely cannot grasp their experience at all. Do not tell them they are mistaken, ask what you can do to help.

I hope that MP and the larger climbing community can provide a safe space and strong support system as we try to figure out a path forward in this extremely troubling time.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681

Thanks man, I'm with ya.

Can you write a letter to the rest of the world apologizes for our countries behavior too please.

Thanks

B-Mkll Mackall · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,641

+ 1000 to this. Thank you. That's all I'm going to offer to any of these Trump-related threads. I know better (so should everyone).

BigFeet · · Texas · Joined May 2014 · Points: 380
JSlack wrote:I just want to say to all the non-white, LGBTQ, non-Christian, immigrant climbers on this forum that I stand with you and I hope you feel that you can turn to the climbing community for support as we enter what promises to be a very scary time. This thread ( mountainproject.com/v/post-…) really disappointed me. The OP made a sincere statement looking for support from this community and he was met with ‘whitesplaining’ and hate speech. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. More so now than ever before (in my lifetime). When someone from a group in Trump’s crosshairs tells you they feel endangered, you have no right not to believe them. As a white person, you likely cannot grasp their experience at all. Do not tell them they are mistaken, ask what you can do to help. I hope that MP and the larger climbing community can provide a safe space and strong support system as we try to figure out a path forward in this extremely troubling time.
Gin it up a bit more why don't you. This is what keeps things like this going. See the words in italics in your quote... yeah, this helps others understand.

See that bold type in your quote? Are you not doing what you advocate against?
Gavin Towey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0
BigFeet wrote: Gin it up a bit more why don't you. This is what keeps things like this going. See the words in italics in your quote... yeah, this helps others understand. See that bold type in your quote? Are you not doing what you advocate against?
Not really. He's mostly just stating a fact many people don't want to face. That very very few white people in America actually experience the kind of racism that has a significant impact on their quality of life. They just don't. Anyone who claims they do should fall under the doctrine of "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof"
ScoJo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 120

I agree. Thanks for posting this!

Eric Carlos · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 40
gtowey wrote: Not really. He's mostly just stating a fact many people don't want to face. That very very few people in America actually experience the kind of racism that has a significant impact on their quality of life. They just don't. Anyone who claims they do should fall under the doctrine of "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof"
There, I fixed it for you.
gtowey wrote: Not really. He's mostly just stating a fact many people don't want to face.

What fact would that be? That people are different and people treat different people different? His quote: " ...non-white, LGBTQ, non-Christian, immigrant..." Why separate us? Let us all join our own groups, and then we will be equal, right? The perpetual division continues.

gtowey wrote: That very very few white people in America actually experience the kind of racism that has a significant impact on their quality of life.
You mean like getting into college based on quotas? Getting that job, oh yeah, based on quotas? Ever been to Hawaii and been called a Haole? Etc.

gtowey wrote: They just don't. Anyone who claims they do should fall under the doctrine of "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof"
Yeah, we all need proof, huh?
Cpt. E · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 95

so....

my kid asked me this when discussing his 'white privilege' - related assignment from school, and I will pose it to the enlightened MP hoard:

"Is there brown privilege in Mexico? Is there yellow privilege in China?"

"or is this just an American- thing?"

Cpt. E wrote:so.... my kid asked me this when discussing his 'white privilege' - related assignment from school, and I will pose it to the enlightened MP hoard: "Is there brown privilege in Mexico? Is there yellow privilege in China?"
I actually experienced white privilege in China. I was treated like a rock star!
Cpt. E wrote:so.... my kid asked me this when discussing his 'white privilege' - related assignment from school, and I will pose it to the enlightened MP hoard: "Is there brown privilege in Mexico? Is there yellow privilege in China?" "or is this just an American- thing?"
I don't see why there wouldn't be.
Cpt. E wrote: "Is there brown privilege in Mexico? Is there yellow privilege in China?"
The question should be: Do you as an individual feel privileged to live in America?
Cpt. E · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 95

Not to the extent that I would knowingly be insensitive to the experience of people from other backgrounds.

But the problem with declaring all white people guilty of white privilege is that you take away the individual responsibility of someone acting like an asshole. You don't require anything other than their birth to declare them responsible for something that you perceive as systemic in our society.

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Eric Carlos wrote: I actually experienced white privilege in China. I was treated like a rock star!
And overpaid ten times on everything...but you can probably afford it.

But when America has to start comparing against China, well, that's just sad.

JSlack, Im sure you knew that there would be at least one(im sure there is more to come) person that just has to not let someone say something positive and supportive. Stay positive and know that many people are in ti with you.

reboot wrote: And overpaid ten times on everything...but you can probably afford it. But when America has to start comparing against China, well, that's just sad.
No, I was treated like I was rich and famous. Was the weirdest think I have ever experienced. Probably did pay more for things, but still was an interesting experience.
jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Is grandstanding something I should incorporate into my training?

ckersch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 150
BigFeet wrote:Ever been to Hawaii and been called a Haole?
Privilege (n.): When you have to take a vacation to a distant land in order to feel like you don't belong.
ckersch wrote: Privilege (n.): When you have to take a vacation to a distant land in order to feel like you don't belong.
Humorous. No, sorry. The privilege comes from me working to get what I want. Not a feeling I have. Try again.

Anyone is capable.
J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,793
BigFeet wrote: The question should be: Do you as an individual feel privileged to live in America?
Wow man, your statements are so ignorant its painful. Conflating the "struggles" of white folks with the indignations that many minorities face every fricking day is patently offensive. Why? Because it somehow equates your oh so poor quota problem with the emotional toll that is thrust upon minority populations in the country on a daily basis (I have experienced the "quota" issue on the losing end and it ain't a big deal, so cry me a river on that front). The standard "treat everyone" the same argument is offensive because it equates the near constant indignities of a stop in frisk policy that disproportionately affects minorities for example, with the indignities that a white person faces -- wait, what indignities do white people face because they are white? And by equating them, you are minimizing the side that has an actual legit grievance. And if you think the two sets of experiences are the same, well than I have some ocean front property to sell you in Kansas.
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Eric Carlos wrote:No, I was treated like I was rich and famous. Was the weirdest think I have ever experienced. Probably did pay more for things, but still was an interesting experience.
Notice I wasn't doubting your experience. Having taken a white friend/co-worker on a tour to China, it was plainly obvious. It has changed though (maybe not the overpaying part), especially in the larger cities.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply