UNITED STATES MILITARY MEMBERS, THANK YOU, FOR YOUR SERVICE !


Original Post
Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 85

I think that we ALL should all take a moment and consider

It is Veterans' Day!

To the women and men of the United States Armed Forces.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

And to the few I've roped up with
Gotd bless you !
I pray for peace
But I'm glad to know the strength that trains forever
To stand ready

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40

Great post Michael!

BigFeet · · Texas · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Yes, thank you!

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 140

Here here!!

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

++++1!

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,040

Yes.

Kevin Ranck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15

Hear, hear!

yukonjack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Thank you

BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

Semper Fi!

Truck13 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

Thank you for your service!!

Doug Meneke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 5

Much thanks. Miss you, dad!

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 643

A bit of history about today and some sound advice we can all agree on.

"We celebrate Veterans Day today. I should go out to the golf course, because they would let me golf for free, but I'd rather tell you about why today is the day that we salute people who have served in the armed forces.

Formerly known as, "Armistice Day", it was originally a day to celebrate the soldiers who fought in what was sold to the public as, "The war to end all wars.", unfortunately however it was followed by WWII, The Korean War, Vietnam, and so on, and so on and so on.
In the end "The Armistice" ended up being at best a Faustian bargain, and we desperately needed something else to be inclusive. So today we celebrate, "Veterans Day"

Most of us know that "The Armistice" was signed on the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month", but few of us know why, and as you go to the parades, and randomly thank veterans for their service today keep this in mind, it was all for pomp and circumstance. The generals, and secretaries of states, and prime ministers, and presidents, and secretaries of war, who hammered out the deal got it done nearly 12 hours before the famous moment of signature (some accounts have it happening in the early morning hours). On the 23rd hour of the tenth day, of the eleventh month of the eighteenth year of our lord, but that didn't have as nice a ring to it, as the whole eleventh hour thing. So the war raged on needlessly for nearly half another day. Officially over 10,000 men were killed, wounded or went missing on 11/11/18. Our own American troops took the worst of it, with over 3,000 casualties. Mostly due to General Pershing's order to send troops to cross the River Meuse, because he believed that we needed to, as he himself put it, "Teach the German's a lesson."

General Pershing knew the Armistice had been agreed to, but still sent thousands of American's needlessly to their deaths.

The last soldier to die in WWI, was American Private Henry Gunter, whose death occurred at 10:59 am, after being ordered to take a German machine gun nest. The Germans reportedly tried to stop the attack because everyone knew they were literally minutes away from peace, they pleaded with him in broken english, but when these attempts failed, the Germans opened fire, killing Private Gunter, whose divisional record describes his death this way: “Almost as he fell, the gunfire died away and an appalling silence prevailed.”

Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting we boycott parades, and barbecues, but if you really want to "thank" a veteran, take actual action. Take some time today, to learn about our foreign policy, and when the next war is on the horizon, make sure you know whats actually going on, instead of just blindly following patriotic sentiment. If you actually give a damn about those that have served, write your senator, and congress person, write them a hand written letter because they read those, and tell them to support the VA, and other veterans programs. Make a promise to be a better informed citizen because death lingers too, in the fog of pomp and circumstance, and a parade of uninformed citizens kills soldiers too just like bombs and howitzers.

The powers that be will use the good intentions, and all the honor of our troops for fodder, and it is your patriotic duty, to not let them get away with that. So today enjoy the parades, and if it's warm enough where you are, grill a hot dog or two, but be sure to tip back a drink, for private Gunter, because he died for today, as much as anyone did."

Written by J. Pheley, a Navy vet and climber friend.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

Yes, thanks to all of you, past and present. For myself, personally, huge thanks to all the Guard folks who have helped with many, many, wildfire tanker missions, but most personally, our local helicopter folks who have trained and given support to our SAR unit. Flying out a body isn't a glam job, but it means so much to the family. And, without you, SAR would be much less mobile.

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 85

Never mind The lack of posts on Veterans Day. Every day is a day to support the men and women
of the United States military.
We, the climbing community, more than most, should be able to understand the dedication, training & constant vigilance of the job they do.
Thanking the men & women who have & are serving should be a weekly event, not a one day holiday.

Daniel Joder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

To add on a bit to what Jason said...I have always thought that the best way you can support the military is by being educated enough about politics and international affairs as a voter and citizen so as to make it less likely that we should get in to unnecessary wars in the first place. Today, with our all-volunteer "legions" it is all to easy to send them off to do battle (and suffer the consequences) when the vast majority of Americans pay no real price. (Just my two Euros based on 21 years in the USAF as a fighter pilot, retired LtCol)

Jason Young · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,000
Jason Todd wrote:A bit of history about today and some sound advice we can all agree on. "We celebrate Veterans Day today. I should go out to the golf course, because they would let me golf for free, but I'd rather tell you about why today is the day that we salute people who have served in the armed forces. Formerly known as, "Armistice Day", it was originally a day to celebrate the soldiers who fought in what was sold to the public as, "The war to end all wars.", unfortunately however it was followed by WWII, The Korean War, Vietnam, and so on, and so on and so on. In the end "The Armistice" ended up being at best a Faustian bargain, and we desperately needed something else to be inclusive. So today we celebrate, "Veterans Day" Most of us know that "The Armistice" was signed on the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month", but few of us know why, and as you go to the parades, and randomly thank veterans for their service today keep this in mind, it was all for pomp and circumstance. The generals, and secretaries of states, and prime ministers, and presidents, and secretaries of war, who hammered out the deal got it done nearly 12 hours before the famous moment of signature (some accounts have it happening in the early morning hours). On the 23rd hour of the tenth day, of the eleventh month of the eighteenth year of our lord, but that didn't have as nice a ring to it, as the whole eleventh hour thing. So the war raged on needlessly for nearly half another day. Officially over 10,000 men were killed, wounded or went missing on 11/11/18. Our own American troops took the worst of it, with over 3,000 casualties. Mostly due to General Pershing's order to send troops to cross the River Meuse, because he believed that we needed to, as he himself put it, "Teach the German's a lesson." General Pershing knew the Armistice had been agreed to, but still sent thousands of American's needlessly to their deaths. The last soldier to die in WWI, was American Private Henry Gunter, whose death occurred at 10:59 am, after being ordered to take a German machine gun nest. The Germans reportedly tried to stop the attack because everyone knew they were literally minutes away from peace, they pleaded with him in broken english, but when these attempts failed, the Germans opened fire, killing Private Gunter, whose divisional record describes his death this way: “Almost as he fell, the gunfire died away and an appalling silence prevailed.” Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting we boycott parades, and barbecues, but if you really want to "thank" a veteran, take actual action. Take some time today, to learn about our foreign policy, and when the next war is on the horizon, make sure you know whats actually going on, instead of just blindly following patriotic sentiment. If you actually give a damn about those that have served, write your senator, and congress person, write them a hand written letter because they read those, and tell them to support the VA, and other veterans programs. Make a promise to be a better informed citizen because death lingers too, in the fog of pomp and circumstance, and a parade of uninformed citizens kills soldiers too just like bombs and howitzers. The powers that be will use the good intentions, and all the honor of our troops for fodder, and it is your patriotic duty, to not let them get away with that. So today enjoy the parades, and if it's warm enough where you are, grill a hot dog or two, but be sure to tip back a drink, for private Gunter, because he died for today, as much as anyone did." Written by J. Pheley, a Navy vet and climber friend.
Thanks for THIS^^^^

We do not need any more psychotic blood sacrifice to appease the god of the global "elite". In this age of information nobody has an excuse for ignorance of the Truth!
Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,040
Daniel Joder wrote:To add on a bit to what Jason said...I have always thought that the best way you can support the military is by being educated enough about politics and international affairs as a voter and citizen so as to make it less likely that we should get in to unnecessary wars in the first place. Today, with our all-volunteer "legions" it is all to easy to send them off to do battle (and suffer the consequences) when the vast majority of Americans pay no real price. (Just my two Euros based on 21 years in the USAF as a fighter pilot, retired LtCol)
Well said, and thank you
Hank Caylor · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 200

Was a weird pleasure, thanks for the support.

82nd Airborne

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 763
Jason Todd wrote:Take some time today, to learn about our foreign policy, and when the next war is on the horizon, make sure you know whats actually going on, instead of just blindly following patriotic sentiment. If you actually give a damn about those that have served, write your senator, and congress person, write them a hand written letter because they read those, and tell them to support the VA, and other veterans programs.
Good words. I'm not trying to shit on anyone's parade, but as a combat veteran, I feel that I've earned that right, if indeed that is the perception that I convey. Our foreign policy sucks. I don't give a fuck what country terrorists come from, foreign nations should be as sovereign as our own. It doesn't give us the right to enter, occupy and rearrange as we see fit.

Support the troops, but don't blindly support the policy, because the number one rule of warfighting is that WAR SERVES POLICY. I don't believe that our military interests overseas are being leveraged to "protect freedom", especially considering that the NSA and the Patriot Act among other entities and documents are eroding that very thing at home within our borders.

I believe that the overwhelming majority of people that sign a blank check for their lives believe that they are doing the right thing for this country. I believed it when I was 18 and did the same thing. Unfortunately, age and wisdom and a couple decades of my own research have led me in the opposite direction.

I think a strong military is absolutely necessary. I don't think the way it's being utilized is. I love all my brothers and sisters in uniform. I don't want to see any more of them die in third world shitholes, that's all.

Cool pic Hank.

Happy Veteran's Day.
Jason Young · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,000
Jake Jones wrote: Good words. I'm not trying to shit on anyone's parade, but as a combat veteran, I feel that I've earned that right, if indeed that is the perception that I convey. Our foreign policy sucks. I don't give a fuck what country terrorists come from, foreign nations should be as sovereign as our own. It doesn't give us the right to enter, occupy and rearrange as we see fit. Support the troops, but don't blindly support the policy, because the number one rule of warfighting is that WAR SERVES POLICY. I don't believe that our military interests overseas are being leveraged to "protect freedom", especially considering that the NSA and the Patriot Act among other entities and documents are eroding that very thing at home within our borders. I believe that the overwhelming majority of people that sign a blank check for their lives believe that they are doing the right thing for this country. I believed it when I was 18 and did the same thing. Unfortunately, age and wisdom and a couple decades of my own research have led me in the opposite direction. I think a strong military is absolutely necessary. I don't think the way it's being utilized is. I love all my brothers and sisters in uniform. I don't want to see any more of them die in third world shitholes, that's all. Cool pic Hank. Happy Veteran's Day.
Thank you for your service, sacrifice and informed perspective.
Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 163
Hank Caylor wrote:Was a weird pleasure, thanks for the support.
I found out through a guy at work who was airborne that those guys jump out at 500 feet. Holy Crap! I understand now why they call it "jumping."

Thanks indeed.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply