Mountain Project Logo

Post Election Climbing

Original Post
Alex CV · · Greater NYC area · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 200

In an era of rising racism, I have come to the realization that as an ethnic minority, I may never return to some climbing areas I have enjoyed tremendously. And there are places that I will sadly never go to climb now. The climbers I have met in those places have never been untoward. But I will no longer feel safe.

Freedom should not have a price like this.

- Alex

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

I'm not falling for this bait, but...

you've got to be kidding.

scott fuzz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 125

There has to be a small comedy club where you can work out your material other than using Mountain projects before you hit a larger stage??

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

Your only safe space is the gym. Please spread the word, don't venture outside at all.

Doug Meneke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

I slept like a baby last night. I woke up every 2 hours crying.

Joe Memory · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Racism is totally real, and I don't want to undermine the legitimate fear you have right now, but I'm curious. Which areas are you avoiding? Have you experienced interpersonal racism at those places in the past?

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,053
Joe Memory wrote:Racism is totally real, and I don't want to undermine the legitimate fear you have right now, but I'm curious. Which areas are you avoiding? Have you experienced interpersonal racism at those places in the past?
If you read the OP he states he's never experienced any racism from climbers. And no, racism is not real, at least not in the way the OP is implying, and especially not in the climbing community. Maybe he's afraid someone will give him "The stink eye". Dibs on the route name "stink eye" BTW. If he shows up at an Oklahoma crag he'll probably just get offered a belay or directions to the route he's trying to find, or some trail mix.
Alex CV · · Greater NYC area · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 200

Seriously not trolling here. This is actually how I am feeling now. Friends of mine in the very blue state of MA have witnessed in person anti-Asian confrontations.

I don't know what your backgrounds are but remember that each person has their own experiences. Nearly two decades ago I had an angry man yelling at me on the subway to go back to where I came from. I have had people--nice people--in North Carolina ask me where I was from. When I replied that I was from NY, she asked "No, where are you REALLY from? Where were you born?" The answer is still NY (second generation). People may not remember the Chinese-American beat to death in the 1980's in the Detroit area, in the midst of the rise of the Japanese car industry and the decline of Ford, GM, and Chrysler.

Unless you've personally experienced racism on the receiving end, you may never really understand.

I don't expect to experience racism at the crags--climbers are pretty awesome. But much of the time spent on a climbing trip is out in the regular society where the tone has turned into something I only read about in history books.

I think if you're goal, John, is to have an open and friendly climbing community, then listening to the concerns of other people is pretty crucial. And I think as a community of climbers we have a responsibility to address racism both within climbing (gyms, crags, campsites), and adjacent to climbing (gear shops, towns near crags, restaurants/bars).

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

I think the OP is more concerned with the small towns outside of climbing areas. I can't imagine tensleep being liberal.

Also I love how, of course, the white people automatically look to discredit the OP instead of trying to imagine what it might feel like to be in his shoes. You really don't like seeing the ugly side of life do ya?

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Hobo Greg wrote:I think the OP is more concerned with the small towns outside of climbing areas. I can't imagine tensleep being liberal.
I'm hella white and have been stared down in Alabama at a restaurant just based off climbing attire. I think a lot of it is a "you're not from around here" sort of thing.
Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,503

There is a permissiveness now about this kind of thing. For example ...

I was not for Trump. As his ascendency became clear on election night, I turned to my wife of decades and said "Well, at least it will be PC for me to start grabbing you by your p*$$y." ;-)

Yeah, it was a joke ... that went over worse than I thought it would. Goes to show, until you can walk a mile in someone else's shoes ....

Increased sensitivity is what the world needs - not decreased. Let's all do our part.

And go climbing regardless!

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

And what better way to tell if someone ain't from around here then if they aren't white? Small rural towns outside of the south are often <95% white according to census data.

Hobo Greg wrote:I think the OP is more concerned with the small towns outside of climbing areas. I can't imagine tensleep being liberal.
If climbers are patronizing the businesses in these small towns, then climbers have the influence to combat the racism OP is afraid of.
John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,053
Joe Memory wrote:I think if you're goal, John, is to have an open and friendly climbing community, then listening to the concerns of other people is pretty crucial. And I think as a community of climbers we have a responsibility to address racism both within climbing (gyms, crags, campsites), and adjacent to climbing (gear shops, towns near crags, restaurants/bars).
I'm not dismissing his concerns as much as I'm saying I'm not seeing it. I pay close attention to my surroundings and I'm not seeing any violence against Asians (or any other ethnic group) being perpetrated by anyone due to the outcome of the election. In fact the only incidents of violence and vandalism have be perpetrated by folks protesting the outcome. Just sayin'
John Barritt wrote: I'm not dismissing his concerns as much as I'm saying I'm not seeing it. I pay close attention to my surroundings and I'm not seeing any violence against Asians (or any other ethnic group) being perpetrated by anyone due to the outcome of the election. In fact the only incidents of violence and vandalism have be perpetrated by folks protesting the outcome. Just sayin'
It's great that you aren't seeing violence in your area and I hope that your local crag isn't racist, but racism can be hard to identify as white person since you aren't experiencing it directly, so listening to those who do experience it directly is pretty important. Ultimately I think there is a big difference between saying a place is safe and actively ensuring that it is safe. I think the climbing community as a whole should be actively defending the safety of non-white climbers.
cjdrover · · Watertown, MA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 355
Alex CV wrote:Nearly two decades ago I had an angry man yelling at me on the subway to go back to where I came from. I have had people--nice people--in North Carolina ask me where I was from. When I replied that I was from NY, she asked "No, where are you REALLY from? Where were you born?" The answer is still NY (second generation).
I hear you. This happens to my wife all the time.

John Barritt wrote:I pay close attention to my surroundings and I'm not seeing any violence against Asians (or any other ethnic group) being perpetrated by anyone due to the outcome of the election.
Who do you think is in a better position to know whether this is a problem - you or the OP?

John Barritt wrote: In fact the only incidents of violence and vandalism have be perpetrated by folks protesting the outcome.
Well, I pay close attention to my surroundings and I'm not seeing any violence from protesters due to the outcome of the election.

For what its worth, I saw someone scream profanities from a car at a woman wearing a hijab on Wednesday, and I live in a liberal enclave. Let me be clear, I believe these people are a very small minority and not reflective of the bulk of Trump voters, but I do think there is evidence that they are interpreting the campaign and election as validation of these views.
Merlin · · Grand Junction · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10
Doug Meneke wrote:I slept like a baby last night. I woke up every 2 hours crying.
:) Thanks for the morning laugh.
BigFeet · · Texas · Joined May 2014 · Points: 380

This is a sad state of affairs, if Alex really feels this way. I have to ask, Alex, what is your age?

Racism is a term that was instituted to cause division of those who are like minded, but physically different. The thought behind applying this word on society was to separate people from a common interest, and argue amongst each other instead of joining as one group to be brought together against a mutual threat - a fear for those who seek control/power. This is actually a well documented (by those who invented the term) psychological approach to mold a mindset.

To me, it is really quite humorous to deny we have differences, and some differences are superior to others. Would you agree? Does that make me a racist, or a realist? I think it is just a natural survival instinct we all have obtained whether through heredity or environment. Too bad that some, and for nefarious purposes, used this natural characteristic to their advantage.

I believe most people you meet that exhibit "racist" actions/words are just ignorant, as well as, those who throw the term around without understanding its origins.

True, there are those that think they are the end-all-be-all, but those should be mocked and ridiculed... not entertained.

Alex, stand tall and be proud of who you are and where you come from. Don't let the powers that be manipulate your thoughts.

There are those of us with differences and understanding that will stand with you.

JNE · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,940
Alex CV wrote:In an era of rising racism, I have come to the realization that as an ethnic minority, I may never return to some climbing areas I have enjoyed tremendously. And there are places that I will sadly never go to climb now. The climbers I have met in those places have never been untoward. But I will no longer feel safe. Freedom should not have a price like this. - Alex
So, in other words, you are volunteering to us all the information that you are one of the people who are in this country only by virtue of globalists illegitimate laws (in that they violate Natural Law, for example "the strong survive over the weak"), that you in particular feel entitled to the fruits of the labor of the "lower class" members of this society (and the world at large) which so inexplicable embraces you while forcibly rejecting people like me, and further that you have the right to express your personal butt-hurt about the situation.

Keep in mind the outcome of hateful rhetoric like your own is taking food out of people like myselves mouth, and I am a poor person barely getting by. It is only a matter of time until this is viewed as an act of violence. You might note that HRC, and everything she stands for, just got vociferously rejected by America.

BTW, if I, an ultr-tolerant, peace-loving, green-technology-promoting, womens-equality-needed-to-happen-yesterday, lets-move-the-world-forward, straight-white-male, non-nihilist, all-life-is-sacred-and-all-humans-are-equal-and-worthy, has this to say to you, then just...yea...
BigFeet · · Texas · Joined May 2014 · Points: 380
Joe Memory wrote: but racism can be hard to identify as white person since you aren't experiencing it directly,
What an asinine statement if I ever saw one.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply