Mowbray mountain fire

Original Post
TripBrannen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 50

I'm visiting family in Chatt next week (Nov 12th-19th) and was hoping to hit LRC a couple of days but I saw an article that mentioned a fire on Mowbray mountain. Anyone have any info on what's going on over there? Is the fire close to LRC? (hopefully not with all the homes around there)

badcarp · · Ooltewah, TN · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

I know they evacuated some homes in the valley between Signal and Mowbray, but LRC is good for now. Besides the poor air quality in the area and the abnormally high temps, I'm sure you'll be good. I'd probably call the club house in the morning before you head up, or the evening before just to get info on any changes.
Have fun.

TripBrannen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 50

Thanks for the info!

Andy Million · · Murfreesboro TN · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 65

Keep an eye on The Crash Pad's FB page. They seem to have regular updates/closures on fires in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/TheCrashPad/

badcarp · · Ooltewah, TN · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

Copied from Facebook.

Leda remains closed today due to heavy smoke. The Montlake Golf Course says there is a chance it opens up later today, so make sure to give them a call if you plan on heading that way. Additionally, North Chickamauga Creek Gorge is closed.

We were at Stone Fort yesterday, and the area was also heavily smoked out, but remained open. If you have any respiratory problems, it might be a good idea to steer clear of the area today.

We've also heard from guests that the Laurel-Snow State Natural Area is closed.

As the drought continues, please keep in mind that the South is basically a giant tinder box. Please refrain from having bonfires and if you must smoke, please be extremely vigilant about where you ash. Thank you!

Blake Cash · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined May 2007 · Points: 135

They are recommending wearing a mask if you go to LRC...that to me means it's not worth it. I was in Prentice Cooper this weekend and the smoke was really bad. It's the worst it's been in town today too.

Kim Ran · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 430

I was at LRC both Saturday and Sunday and the smoke actually wasn't too bad. It's worse lower in the valley. If you have asthma/breathing problems though it may best best to not go.

kimran wrote:I was at LRC both Saturday and Sunday and the smoke actually wasn't too bad. It's worse lower in the valley. If you have asthma/breathing problems though it may best best to not go.
Good to know! Seems as if they are getting closer to containment...

https://www.facebook.com/TNAgriculture/videos/10153864064357273/?pnref=story

They are staying pretty up to date on their FB page.
Swamp Cookie · · da Bayou · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 250

On any given day it actually just depends on which way the wind is blowing. WeatherUnderground is a good website to determine this. I live at the foot of Hotwater Road. It can be really bad all day and then good all night or vice versa. Just depends on the wind direction.

webdog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0

Smoke is all the way to Atlanta. Alabama is still probably your best bet. There were a bunch of ATL folks at Coldwater mountain Sunday mountain biking w clear sky's

webdog wrote:Smoke is all the way to Atlanta. Alabama is still probably your best bet. There were a bunch of ATL folks at Coldwater mountain Sunday mountain biking w clear sky's
That's because there are about 7 fires between Atlanta and Chattanooga.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply