BD Stance Belay Hoody

Original Post
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25

Anyone have one? What do you think about it?

Brian BH · · Boston · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I have the stance belay parka, its amazing.

Lee Durbetaki · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

I'm 6'1" tall, ~205 lbs, 35" waist. The size Large fits me nicely. Sleeves and torso are plenty long. It isn't too baggy when worn alone and it layers well over a fleece.

It doesn't get a small as some other puffies, but I've never cared for compressing them too much. If you're looking at the deal I think you are, I'd say it's good value-for-money as long as the cut fits you.

Max Forbes · · Vermont & Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 114

Friend has one. Biggest complaint is it doesn't pack small and is heavy. Warm and durable though.

Cool, thanks guys. I'm just thinking about using around town, camping and cragging so I'm not overly concerned about weight and packability. Durability will be alot more important since it'll be for daily use. Might have to snag one!

greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Just out of curiosity which deal are you guys looking at?
OP I've heard good things about them. Curious how long the loft lasts but the price is right.

I'm looking for a ~100$ synthetic belay jacket for winter climbing and camping in the Wasatch. Don't expect it will see too much use since I'm kind of a jacket whore but wanted something to wear on the brutally cold days instead of my Nilas.

Occasional use I think the silver Hi loft will be fine but curios to see how it holds if to daily wear and tear.

I was wanting the green color and was about to buy off leftlane. I'm 170lb 6feet size medium? 110 bucks free shipping.

Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 178
greggrylls wrote:I was wanting the green color and was about to buy off leftlane. I'm 170lb 6feet size medium? 110 bucks free shipping.
Medium should fit. I'm 6'1" 165 lbs and medium BD jackets are a great fit for me. Note that the armpits of their jackets tend to be cut fairly high to allow maximum range of motion (although less so for their heavier insulated pieces). Should fit you great though!

At 5'10" 160, I tried on a Large BD Access LT and it felt perfect, although I don't like super form fitting clothes and I have long arms. It seemed like a Medium would have been pretty tight but they didn't have one to try on. Does anyone know if the fit on the Stance Hoody is about the same as the Access LT? Maybe I'll order a M and L so I can try them both on and return one.

Thanks for the info Seth, sounds like you and I are in the same boat.

Looking to use this as a final insulation piece over baselayer, soft shell, atom LT. I'll have to try them on I'm leaning towards the large now.

I'll try to give you as much info about how BD stuff fits me as possible.
I'm 6'1", 165 lbs, 32" waist, 32" inseam, +2" reach

I have the Access LT in a Medium, and it fits well, but not loose. I can wear a fleece under it, but that's about it.

The Stance Belay Hoody fits slightly looser, same as the Cold Forge Hoody (the down equivalent). I haven't used the Stance Hoody, but I was able to fit a Cold Forge Hoody on over my Access LT, both in a size Medium.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info, Gavin. Just ordered a M and L from REI. Will just keep the one that fits better. I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks for the heads up about REI. I was going to go with green but with an REI 5 minutes from my house with easy returns/exchanges that navy color is very appealing. I'm ordering a medium and large as well will report back on fit.

Greg, I just sent you a PM. Check your email before you order.

Brendan Armesy · · Fort Collins CO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 85
Gavin W wrote:I'll try to give you as much info about how BD stuff fits me as possible. I'm 6'1", 165 lbs, 32" waist, 32" inseam, +2" reach I have the Access LT in a Medium, and it fits well, but not loose. I can wear a fleece under it, but that's about it. The Stance Belay Hoody fits slightly looser, same as the Cold Forge Hoody (the down equivalent). I haven't used the Stance Hoody, but I was able to fit a Cold Forge Hoody on over my Access LT, both in a size Medium. Hope that helps.
Whats the main differences between the Access and the Stance?
Brendan Armesy wrote: Whats the main differences between the Access and the Stance?
Keep in mind there are two Stance Belays.

Stance Belay Hoody:
Materials :
[Shell] Pertex® Microlight with DWR finish (30d, 50 g/m2, 100% nylon);
[Insulation] PrimaLoft® Silver Hi-Loft (80 g/m2);
[Panels] PrimaLoft Silver Hi-Loft (60 g/m2);
[Lining] Pertex Quantum (20d, 35 g/m2, 100% nylon)
Weight : 480 g (16.9 oz)

Stance Belay Parka:
Materials :
[Shell] Pertex® Classic 40d plain-weave with DWR finish (65 gsm, 100% nylon)
[Insulation] PrimaLoft® Silver Hi-Loft Insulation (80 gsm, 100% polyester)
[Lining] Pertex Microlight 20 d ripstop with DWR finish (40 gsm, 100% nylon)
Weight : 730 g (1 lb 10 oz)
Kris Grano · · highland, ca · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 5

I have one and love it. It's a little bit shiny like a trash bag but it's durable and warm.

Brendan Armesy wrote: Whats the main differences between the Access and the Stance?
The Access is designed to be a layer that you keep on while you're moving, similar to the Arcteryx Atom LT.

The Access LT that I mentioned has half of the insulation (40G Primaloft) of the Stance Belay Hoody (not the parka, which is comparable to a Patagonia DAS Parka), and the side panels and underarms are uninsulated softshell, so that it breathes well.

So the Stance Hoody is a belay layer, the Access is an action layer.
wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Love it! One of my most used puffy jackets. Plenty durable too. Used a couple times on Rainier, as a warmer weather belay jacket in Ouray. I Also used as an active layer in below 0 weather.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 478

And remember the parka has 2 layers of 80gm primaloft silver, not sure why BD doesn't call that out on their specs.

Seth Jones wrote: Keep in mind there are two Stance Belays. Stance Belay Hoody: Materials : [Shell] Pertex® Microlight with DWR finish (30d, 50 g/m2, 100% nylon); [Insulation] PrimaLoft® Silver Hi-Loft (80 g/m2); [Panels] PrimaLoft Silver Hi-Loft (60 g/m2); [Lining] Pertex Quantum (20d, 35 g/m2, 100% nylon) Weight : 480 g (16.9 oz) Stance Belay Parka: Materials : [Shell] Pertex® Classic 40d plain-weave with DWR finish (65 gsm, 100% nylon) [Insulation] PrimaLoft® Silver Hi-Loft Insulation (80 gsm, 100% polyester) [Lining] Pertex Microlight 20 d ripstop with DWR finish (40 gsm, 100% nylon) Weight : 730 g (1 lb 10 oz)
Beaver · · NH · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

I've used a Stance Belay Parka for a few seasons now and the thing is incredibly warm, I absolutely love it. Just don't expect it to pack down super small.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply