Mountain Project Logo

Peter skill with new climbers

Original Post
Bradley Pazian · · New York, New York · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

Any advice for routes that are new friendly? I was thinking the bunkhouse wall would work well. I remember the slabby climbs on clamshell up at dickie barre seemed. Easy as well. Any other ideas? Also I am coming from out of state and have limited pack room do you think it's worth bringing the 100ft static rope for these objectives? I remember it being useful for clamshell at least. Thanks!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Don't bring the 100' static. You can TR 90% of the Clamshell wall off bolt anchors there. The others can be set up with <20' of static rope. A few of the routes at "lower Peterskill" call for a longer rope. I'd say 60' would do it there. But if you're traveling and want to keep the load light, just avoid those few routes.

Obviously we don't know what you mean by "new friendly" climbs. There's quite a jump from the 5.3 and 5.4 climbing on the Bunk face to the 7s and 8s of the Clamshell wall.

You have the new PK guidebook, right? Sadly there wasn't time to get an index by grade in there; here's a link to that. Hopefully it lets you identify climbs in your wheelhouse.
rockclimbingpeterskill.com/…

Being super toprope-friendly, I could be snarky and say it's all beginner friendly, if easy-to-set-up TRs is what you're after. The book identifies all the bolted anchors if that's your definition of new-friendly. PM me if you need more specifics.

Also, pay attention to PK's season. As in, they close when things get icy, and climbing there when they are closed is strictly forbidden. So far, they are still open, but Dec. 1st is an average timeframe for them to close.

Mike

Bradley Pazian · · New York, New York · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

Thanks for the advice. I have the old guidebook but not the new one. Plan to pick it up before climbing this Sunday. I'm looking for climbs 5.6 tops 5.7 or easier. I'm not bringing a rack so either need trees or bolt. 2 of the climbers have climbed outdoors up to 5.6 the other climber has indoor experience no outdoors but is the fittest and most naturally talented of the group.im experienced and familiar w Peter kill but have struggled in the past to pick good news routes as things I think are easy they struggle with

Peter T · · Boston · Joined May 2016 · Points: 16

Besides the bunk beds, the breakfast wall has several 5.5-5.7 routes. For some of the routes there I believe you will need at least the 60' static rope because there are no bolts. I'm not sure how it compares to the guidebook but the GunksApp for Peterskill is also very good.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Peter skill with new climbers"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.