Rock outside of Rawlins?

Original Post
Mr. Stevens · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 825

About 20-30 miles north of Rawlins towards Muddy Gap on 287 there is some amazing bands of white rock coming up out of the hillside on the right - they almost look like very thin fins. Has anyone ever been up there? Rock type or quality?

BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

Good granite if it's what I am thinking. Is it in National Forest? Looks pink-ish?

John Lombardi · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 163

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/ferris-mountains/106254338

Yes. I haven't been but I have a coworker who hunts in the area, and another who grew up outside of Muddy Gap. You need 4wd and high clearance to access. Lots of sand dunes. The ranchers that own the land to get to the area are supposedly pretty nice - but the best time to go explore in that area is Fall. During the spring the cows have calves and ranchers can be pretty testy. Also they won't like that you're from Colorado.

Wilburn · · Cheyenne, WY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 265

Sam Lightner Jr. wrote a guidebook summarizing climbing in the state of Wyoming that includes the area you are talking about as well as a couple topo's. Looks very cool, but also very exposed to the elements.

Tom Powell · · Rawlins, Wyoming · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 55

Those are the Ferris Mountains. They are very steep and rugged. I have not climbed on the routes that are bolted (I don't climb that hard) but I have hiked to the top of the Range. Like John said respect the ranchers I do believe that the access to the limestone fins crosses private land so be respectful. Also 4X4 and a good set of tires is a must for getting back there.

Just so you know that area is a BLM Wilderness Study Area. Wilderness rules apply. If you need info on access and open roads call the Rawlins BLM Field Office.

Mr. Stevens · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 825

Ferris Mountains, that's it! Thanks for all the responses. I have no plans of developing any routes or even climbing there, I've just always been so impressed every time I've driven by. Looks like it has the potential to be a major destination for WY climbing, though!

Tom Rangitsch · · Lander, WY · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,456

Search for the route "The Great Divide" on this site, under the heading of the Ferris Mountains. My friend Steve Bechtel and I did a four pitch sport route on one of the taller fins several years ago. The rock is Madison limestone and has very little as far as features go. We really couldn't find any crack features for gear and the route we ended up bolting looks like it might be 5.9 until you climb on it. Really cool area though and there would be potential for more out there, although the lack of features was kind of a bummer.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply