Daniel Boon Forest Fire

Original Post
Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

I am leaving for a trip to the RRG today. I'm a twelve hour drive away. I heard there is a decent portion of the forest on fire unfortunately. I'm at work and cannot unfortunately spend too much time trying to research how bad things are. Can anyone give me any input as to what is closed or how bad this thing really is? I saw last night that the forest service closed anything near tunnel ridge road?

Thanks all for any input. This is about my luck. When I went to Thailand is when the flooding in Bangkok happened. I got stuck in two feet of snow when I came back in late October as well that year for a few week gunks vacation also.

ottice webb · · Stanton KY · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 5

It rained overnight which helped but no sport climbing areas are affected, come on down

I will be sport climbing but how about my beloved trad climbing areas!?

Alden Brom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Definitely still head to the Red. The fire's in the northern region, there are plenty of Trad routes in the south to climb and most of the north is not closed.

Thank you for the info dudes!

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

Here's what I've seen posted by the forest service.

Not much impact to climbing.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/dbnf/alerts-notices/?cid=fseprd523942

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Boone

DrRockso · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 326

I'm not aware of any climbing that is affected, unless you planned to do some obscure trad shit out at haystack rock. It is smoky down here though! As someone else said, it rained some last night which probably helped some.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply