Stuck in Boston 11/9 to 11/13. What should I do?

Original Post
Jeremy Aslaksen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 195

All,

I will be stuck in Boston (conference) for 5 days this week.

Staying in South Boston (Courtyard South Boston) and conference in Cambridge.

Looks like there is a gym near my hotel which is cool (Rock Spot).

Anyway, looking for beer/breweries, cool restaurants, real bouldering, and shit that I shouldn't miss while I am there. Can cab/Uber wherever.

Thanks much.

JA

chris_vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 480

Lincoln woods for some good granite bouldering, prob about 60 min from where you are.

Hammond Pond is closer, and accessible by the T, but the rock kinda sucks. A few highballs (30ft) that some folks set ropes on that are easy but spicy.

The Fells or Blue Hills or Lynn Woods for hiking/trailrunning.

I liked Central Rock watertown when I lived in Boston - big gym with a great lead wall and a lot of problems.

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411

The science museum and aquarium are good distractions as well. Grab some eats in Quincy Market. Boston is a very nice city to spend time.

If you're into gear, a visit to Hilton's Tent City is a worthy stop. There's also a REI near Fenway, which is cool if you don't have one near your home (we only have EMS). Both are considered gear store meccas here in the northeast.

Caleb Cerling · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 55

I would definitely go to the Harpoon Brewery in the Seaport while you're there, and where you're staying is super close to the JFK presidential library. When I used to live in Boston I would do some of my runs out around Castle Island, the whole Harbor Walk along the water front is pretty nice.

B-Mkll Mackall · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,471

Check out Night Shift Brewery, Lord Hobo Beer Bar in Cambridge, Lower Depths bar near Fenway. Trillium Brewing, Winter Hill Brewing, and Cambridge Brewing all get honorable mentions (accessible on Red Line and short walk).

For gym climbing, I used to work at Rock Spot and the setting is phenomenal. Central Rock in Watertown may be hard to get to but is a great gym overall. Ditto for Brooklyn Boulders in Somerville, which has the added bonus of a brewery basically included.

Outside climbing, within reasonable cab/uber distance, is pretty much limited to Hammond Pond. It's worth checking out IMO (pretty good MP coverage). Quincy Quarries would be worth a look this time of year but only if you can find a friend with TR materials and anchor building know-how.

If you can make the connection at Rock Spot, you should try for a day-jaunt to Pawtuckaway in Southern NH or Lincoln Woods in RI (both about an hour and change from SB).

Have fun.

Nate Nate · · Los Angeles, California · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 10

Quincy Quarry has some of the best bouldering and climbing in the Boston area (within reasonable rideshare distance). Carabiners in New Bedford has one of the biggest baddest climbing gyms in the country.
Then there is lots of drinking food and Boston Sports. Always a good time.

Just Jesse · · Methuen, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 5

After your conference wraps for the day, spend a some time in Cambridge. Great live music venues, Middle East, ZuZu etc. tons of great eating/bar hopping there too. There is also a Tibetan Restaurant called Rangzen in Central Square that is absolutely delicious. If you find yourself down near Newbury street/back bay area, be sure to pop into Bodega (clearway st). Even if you're not into sneaker culture/streetwear, it is totally worth it to check out the concept. Have fun.

Mark Berenblum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105

Another vote for Lincoln Woods if you can figure out a way to get there. The bouldering is excellent, and the park will be beautiful this time of year.

DEF · · Boston, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 55

Night Shift is a great brewery, and if you make it out there... MetroRock gym is literally around the corner. In my opinion the best gym in the Boston area.

Central rock I'd say is #2 but a bit out of the way... Brooklyn Boulders is great if you insist your climbing gym have a sauna, wheat grass juice, and parkour classes going on right between people belaying. I think they give a discount for handlebar mustaches too.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
DEF wrote:Night Shift is a great brewery, and if you make it out there... MetroRock gym is literally around the corner. In my opinion the best gym in the Boston area. Central rock I'd say is #2 but a bit out of the way... Brooklyn Boulders is great if you insist your climbing gym have a sauna, wheat grass juice, and parkour classes going on right between people belaying. I think they give a discount for handlebar mustaches too.
+1. Plus you need to get to BB on a fixe-y
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Wow you people are one dimensional. Go climbing of course, but also check out Boston's cultural treasures, which will be far better than the climbing: Museum of Fine Art and Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. They have terrific works by John Singer Sargent that you won't see elsewhere. You can also hit some of the historic sites in North Boston: Paul Revere's House, the Old North Church. The East Coast in general is silly with places you've read about your whole life in history class. Good Italian restaurants in that neck of the woods too. There was a pizza place with limited seating inside where people started lining up an hour before they opened. When we walked by and caught a whiff of the smells coming out, we knew why. Have fun. Boston is a cool town.

B-Mkll Mackall · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,471

A hike up Great Blue hill in Dedham is a must do. Super easy, incredible view of the city, and within rideshare/ uber distance.

^^^^ +1 for all that stuff above. The MFA is incredible, as are the aquarium and Museum of Science.

DEF · · Boston, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 55

One more - if the weather is a good a bike ride or run around the Charles river esplanade is a good way to get a workout in and see the city. If you did the whole thing its like 15+ miles of paved pathway but there are numerous bridges to cut over and make a loop however long you want.

Thanks for all your informative replies!

I really appreciate it.

JA

Bport · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 58

Bouldering in Lynn woods

Brian BH · · Boston · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Rock Spot in South Boston is good for indoor bouldering; I'm member. Will most likely be there tomorrow night I think, can use my guest pass if times cross.

Chris Richards · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

The MFA is nice, but you really should visit the Museum of Bad Art. In the basement of the Somerville Theater in Davis Sq. Both worth it and not worth it at the same time.

Thanks Brian BH.I should be there tonight about 7 or so.

JA

JChepes · · West Ossipee, NH · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 0

You would have to take the commuter rail to Lynn or Swampscott and then take a 15 minute cab ride to Lynn woods. Kind of a pain but worth it. The commuter will get you to West Gloucester also putting some of the bouldering in Cape Ann within a short reach.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply