Looking for Partner for Patagonia Ice Field Traverse out of El Chalten sometime ~ Jan 14th - Feb. 9th 2017

Original Post
Wyatt Stevens · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

Hey people!

I'm gonna be in Patagonia from January 14th through to February 8th, I am looking to spend maybe a week or 2 weeks of that time in El Chalten. Something I really want to do is a route around both the Fitz Roy and Torre Massifs via Paso Marconi and Paso Del Viento. I really want to make this trip happen but I don't have a partner, and because of the glacial aspect of the trip going solo seems unadvisable. I have all of the gear minus a few items (Snowshoes, glacier rope, shovel) but I think those things might be rentable in El Chalten. I have significant experience on multi-week backpacking trips, as well as winter-camping, mountaineering, and glacial experience. If someone else is as stoked as I am on this route, please get in touch with me either on MP or using this email: wyatt.stevens@questu.ca.

If anyone has any good beta for this trip I would be really grateful for that as well! There is limited info online and most comes from guided expeditions which give little info in the way of specific logistics and trip-planning. Additionally, I'm also down to just do some climbing in the area during the same dates, so if you aren't interested in the route, but are still around, hit me up!

Below is a map of the route I want to take more or less. I imagine the trip would take around 6 days (5 nights) minimum, with a couple days built in for weather. I am flexible on the actual dates of the trip.

This is more or less the route I want to take.

Also, I will be unavailable to communicate from Nov. 12th to Dec. 2nd, the mountains are calling! I'll be sure to check for responses as soon as I'm back in service!

Goodhue · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

Hi Wyatt,

A few other things to keep in mind, as I'm not sure how much info you have found:

- The hike along Rio Electrico goes through private land and you are supposed to pay the owner. It's pretty steep, I think it worked out to $40-$50 USD.

- You can easily hitchhike from El Chalten to the Rio Electrico trailhead.

- There is a mandatory tyrolean near Lago Tunel Superior. At the visitor center they may check to see if you have gear for the tyrolean. They want to see a steel carabiner (not really sure why...), you can then leave it behind as it's not really needed. (although you won't even pass the visitor center until your way out)

- You can rent snowshoes in El Chatlen, but I wouldn't plan on being able to rent a rope and shovel. You might want to try to contact a gear rental shop via email before planning on it.

- There is a rappel somewhere (like within 2km...) near Paso Marconi. I don't know where it is, but it sounded like if it wasn't in good shape or something it's impassable. People were turned around by it in February, but it sounds like you will be there a bit earlier. I think it can be done with a 30m rope. Something else to keep in mind.

- I think your timeline is good and conservative. If you are in reasonable shape you could easily shave off a day. But it'd also be worth it to take your time and hang out in the beauty.

I haven't done this route, but I did hike a traverse around Cerro Huemul last season. We hiked west to Paso Viento, then south, and back east. We did that in 3 days. Four days would be nice and casual. It could be a good backup option if you don't have the time or glacier conditions to do your route.

Michael

Hey Michael!

Thanks for the response! Thats a lot of really helpful information! I actually just got an email back from a shop that will rent those items, so that part is covered.

Do you just pay the private owner when you pass through the area? Or before somehow?

I also have Cerro Huemul in the back of my head as a good alternative too, it looks stunning as well! Do you have an idea of where in El Chalten to ask for some more beta for either of those routes? For glacial conditions or general info?

Cheers,
Wyatt

Goodhue · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

Sure thing. I think you just drop cash in a box. There's also a hut you'll hike by I think. I don't know exactly where you pay, but you'll want to have cash on hand.

You could kick around some of the campgrounds (El Refugio for exmample) and look for hikers and climbers (all over the place) and ask if they know if anyone's been out there lately. You could also ask a guiding outfit in town because the route gets guided frequently. Not sure if they'll be helpful or not.

Have a great trip!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply