Good rope length for Lemmon

Original Post
Ryan Neff · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 15

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to poll the user base on rope length for the lemmon area. I moved here from Oklahoma and over there a 60m rope fit almost everything, that doesn't seem to be the case here in Tucson/Mt. Lemmon. I've only sampled a bit of the climbing here, but I feel like I am seeing a lot of 100'+ single pitches. Is this the case? Is a 60 m rope just a little short for this area?

My rope isn't that old and I'd prefer to hang on to it if that isn't the case. I did look at the routes on MP and in the guidebook before making this post. I'd like to know what others in the area have to say too. I greatly appreciate any thoughts you have to share.

Thank you!

James Xu · · Flagstaff, Arizona · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 150

A 60 meter rope will get you up the majority of things on the mountain, you'll be ok. The places I can think of that requires a 70m or double rope are places like the Orifice Wall or the Reef of Rocks. Just be mindful of what you get on and tie knots on the end of your rope!

Sam Thompson · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

60m will be good for a fair majority of the routes, but there's more than a fair share of routes mixed in across every wall that need 70m. It wouldn't be imperative to get a longer rope, but you'd likely be much happier and less stressed with one.

Steven Groetken · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 390

There are around 2,000 climbs listed in the vicinity of the highway. Just use your 60m on as many of them as you can until it's time to replace it. The rock is sharp, so it won't take that long.

1Eric Rhicard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 8,220

70 Meter. If you have a 60 use it until it is dead but then get a 70. So many new routes have gone up that need a longer rope you must tie a knot at the end of the rope. Please be careful at all times as some of the older routes have had anchors added at 35 Meters. Weathertop is the area that comes to mind where the walk offs were eliminated with anchors placed as high as possible to get the most climbing. It is a small price to pay for the added safety.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply