Mountain Project Logo

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

A lot of your avatar pics are pretty entertaining, as well as some of the aliases.

So, do either of those have a story? How did you pick what you use?

My photo is actually me, probably one of the ugliest, least flattering, climbing photos ever taken, but I'm proud of it anyway. That's the evening I discovered I am a rock climber. Who knew?!

As for Old Lady, well....60 looms in January!

Best, H. That's Helen

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 83

My name is my name and my picture is my face.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 653
Parker Wrozek wrote:My name is my name and my picture is my face.
That's boring.
Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 449

Also me, but entertaining yes?

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190
Parker Wrozek wrote:My name is my name and my picture is my face.
Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

"I am large, I contain multitudes..."

My handle is a play on a nickname from other activities. It's just as much my identity as what's on government documents.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I have a fairly strong dislike for folks who hide behind a fake name and sling shit on the internet. There are a few avatars that I like and respect. Most of them have let slip who they really are.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Nick Goldsmith wrote:I have a fairly strong dislike for folks who hide behind a fake name and sling shit on the internet. There are a few avatars that I like and respect. Most of them have let slip who they really are.
Any real-sounding name could be an alias, made up. We'd never know.
BigFeet · · Texas · Joined May 2014 · Points: 380

Firestone,

I have to ask... was that a messy experience, or did you recover with dignity? :)

My handle comes from the fact that it is not easy finding size 13.5 climbing shoes. I was going to attach a Bigfoot picture, but whatever.

I do not solicit my name or information through any public means, just for my family's security. Nothing to hide... it is the way I was taught. Anybody could be anybody here.

There are a few here that know my name, face, and home.

P.M. someone and you can probably get more information if you are nice and can make it through their process of elimination for scoundrel types.

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

Cams are my precious.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Cool idea Helen,

My name's really Bill Kirby and that picture is the worst one I could find. I'm not using my kids, 'my dog, the baddest pic of leading, me on top Rainer or my fancy van. I'm a nobody.

I had a pretty good one on NEice.com. and Pinkbike. I used "homeless junkie". Someone said I looked like a homeless junkie, probably smelled like one too, walking into town after being in the woods for six days.

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 449
BigFeet wrote:Firestone, I have to ask... was that a messy experience, or did you recover with dignity? :)
Dignity? Sure, I did. But messy? Yes it was.
Bill Kirby wrote:Cool idea Helen, My name's really Bill Kirby and that picture is the worst one I could find. I'm not using my kids, 'my dog, the baddest pic of leading, me on top Rainer or my fancy van. I'm a nobody. I had a pretty good one on NEice.com. and Pinkbike. I used "homeless junkie". Someone said I looked like a homeless junkie, probably smelled like one too, walking into town after being in the woods for six days.
Election day. We need some fun!

Happy birthday, Old Man B!

For someone who only has a name, highaltitudeflatulenceexpulsion works great for me, cause it forces a narrow text box on my phone, and I can make the type bigger without scrolling around to read, or going sideways. Shallow and lazy, eh?

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 472

First initial, last name. It's really me.

Avatar is not me but in memory of my first climbing partner (on High E at the Gunks). RIP Chip.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 268

Unnecessarily complicated with good intentions but not for everyone. That's me.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6

Do I have an avatar? I'll have to post and see. I don't remember if I've configured one for here or not.

[edit] Nope, no avatar. Guess there's no story. [/edit]

And, that's just my name, too.

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Philosophy.

Magpie79 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
Nick Goldsmith wrote:I have a fairly strong dislike for folks who hide behind a fake name and sling shit on the internet. There are a few avatars that I like and respect. Most of them have let slip who they really are.
I "hide behind a fake name" so that I can duck the slung shit. Seriously, though, I like my anonymity, I am an introvert, and I don't see the need to put my real name out there. I try to be polite and respectful to all, regardless of anyone knowing who I am. I think that if someone is an asshole to a person on an anonymous forum, then that someone is an asshole, period. There is no reason to be rude, even it is a response to a post that has been beaten to death on this forum. Humor, on the other hand, is awesome.

To the OP, magpies are part of the crow family and like shiny things (my husband teases me for this). 79 is the atomic number of gold. Gold is shiny and pretty. So are cams.

Old Lady H, you should be proud of your accomplishments. You are an inspiration!
Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Magpie79 wrote: I "hide behind a fake name" so that I can duck the slung shit. Seriously, though, I like my anonymity, I am an introvert, and I don't see the need to put my real name out there. I try to be polite and respectful to all, regardless of anyone knowing who I am. I think that if someone is an asshole to a person on an anonymous forum, then that someone is an asshole, period. There is no reason to be rude, even it is a response to a post that has been beaten to death on this forum. Humor, on the other hand, is awesome. To the OP, magpies are part of the crow family and like shiny things (my husband teases me for this). 79 is the atomic number of gold. Gold is shiny and pretty. So are cams. Old Lady H, you should be proud of your accomplishments. You are an inspiration!
Slinging shit is humor. I enjoy it all except for the I'm going beat you up or shoot your drone down. Face it peeps.. you're not kicking anyone's ass. You're not pulling a gun on a drone..
Russ Walling · · www.FishProducts.com · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,178

My real name and face

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply