Appropriate Rubber for Karst Limestone?

Original Post
Henri Alexander · · Dallas · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 511

I will be climbing soon on karst limetsone. While I've been on limestone before, I don't know if it is karst. (My rock knowledge is limited.)

Does anyone have a recommendation for the appropriate rubber that I should use for this kind of rock? I'm not necessarily looking for a shoe recommendation but only the rubber that is best used on karst limestone.

Bonus points if you have any references for why it is recommended!

Thanks!

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Just throw whatever shoes on and get to work. You won't magically be climbing 14c because you chose XS Edge over C4.

Zach Myers · · Durango, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 50

Karst limestone is simply limestone that has experienced some level of dissolution due to acidic groundwater, which it turns out is almost all limestone. Most areas with predominately limestone geology will form some level of karst topography, whether sinkholes, caves, etc. These features usually form underground so if you are climbing in an above ground karst feature (sweet cave route) chances are it was mostly formed a long time ago. Use whatever shoe you would use for any other sort of limestone or other fine-grained rock, or any rock for that matter.

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

Rubber won't make a huge difference, as others have mentioned here.

Where will you be climbing?

There lots of variety to Karst formations - you could be looking at gritty stone heavy on edges and pockets, or you could be looking at steep polished flow stone... Or any other variety of features. The type of shoe (aggressive, flat soled etc) will make a slight difference depending on the style of limestone --- "karst" is a very broad term geologically speaking.

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,702

I think shoe construction is more important than rubber for some/most limestone.

How often you pulling thin friction moves on limestone?

Toe in a small pocket? Oh yeah.

Tighter, reverse camber, thin toe profile.

When the limestone get polished...work on your core stength...ha ha.

NorCalNomad · · San Francisco · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 105
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply