Mountain Project Logo

Asshole with drone at Eldo today.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Jeremy Riesberg wrote: Climbers using drones where they are not allowed, will compromise climbing access.
So will climbers knocking drones out of the air.
fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

Time to start training the Eldo raptors:

youtube.com/watch?v=rk7Kwbj…

Ralph Swansen · · Boulder CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 761
Chad Miller wrote: So will climbers knocking drones out of the air.
Good argument. Duly Noted.
Rich Scillia · · Wichita, KS · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 20
John RB wrote:Are you guys kidding me? The #1 source of noise pollution in Eldo is climbers yelling. I can hear people on the Naked Edge down on the Redgarden Trail. I can hear endless screaming from the bridge from the people on Wind Tower and the Bastille. They can't hear each other because of that annoying creek sound, so they YELL LOUDER. But that doesn't ruin your "experience of nature." The #2 source of noise pollution is airplanes. They fly to/from RMMA mostly, and many go straight for Eldo for the "amazing views". Some of them fly illegally low and I've even seen one aerobatic a-hole doing rolls right over the Bastille. This noise is a blight on the whole front-range and the fact that entitled twats think it's cool to get an aerial view of the canyon, at the expense of everyone there trying to have a moment of peace... But drones? Seriously? That's the problem in Eldo? ------- Wonder if Max Seigal got a permit for this? vimeo.com/104457683
Don't much like the idea of drones flying around me when in the mountains trying to get away from all the world's assholes. But, this great video, and the climb it documented are fucking awesome.

One thing we hated hiking 4 days in the Grand Canyon was the nearly constant helicopters flying over. All. Fucking. Day. Long. On the other hand, there was about a 5 minute period during a lunch break where my wife and I both realized that we didn't hear any choppers. We stopped talking and enjoyed the silence of a gentle breeze.

Without the choppers, this short period of silence would not stand out as one of the good memories of that trip.

If it was up to me, I would restrict the choppers to the east end of the canyon to minimize their impact while still letting them operate. Choppers gotta eat too.
John RB wrote:The chinooks were around 11am; they did a single flyover as a group. The red biplane did endless flyovers from about 2pm-3pm. Military is one thing: they're rare and often spectacular. Recreating pilots are another: they're entitled, loud, extremely common, and serve no purpose other than entertaining themselves and their passengers.
On a river trip on the Dumoine River in Quebec, two Canadian Forces C130s flew along the river over us at a very low altitude, and very fast. Very cool.
The Blueprint Part Dank wrote:Drones are annoying for sure, but a drone in Eldo is far less intrusive that one flying over the tribal areas of Pakistan tbh. And to the OP... I'm impressed by your communications skills, straight up calling someone you've never met an asshole? You must be a really fun guy at parties. Glad to see that you have started this personal crusade against drone flyers. But I don't know how you're able to do that as well as cut all of the kite strings of little kids playing in Chautauqua Park on windy days, your time management is stellar.
The drones flying over the tribal areas of Pakistan only become intrusive when the ordinance arrives on target. Before that, no one knows it's even there.
Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040

My neighbor bought a drone recently. This was my first experience with them.

From over 7 acres away, I thought he was running a damn airboat back there. Way louder than I ever would have imagined those things would be.

An airboat. Lol.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

I guess an asshole with a drone is better than a drone with an asshole flying over head.

Anybody seen "Good Kill" with Ethan Hawke? I'm guessing part dank has seen it.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Stupid drone tricks.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_A8Ik…

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460
Jim Turner wrote:I guess an asshole with a drone is better than a drone with an asshole flying over head. Anybody seen "Good Kill" with Ethan Hawke? I'm guessing part dank has seen it.
I hadn't heard of it, but after checking it out, it looks interesting. The book "Sudden Justice: America's Secret Drone War" is highly recommednded.

To the OP

Ralph, I honestly don't disagree with your most basic point about drones being annoying. But the point I was making, one I'm not sure you got, is that you really need to chill out with the whole "calling a stranger an asshole" thing. And if you want to get worked up to the point of calling names, then there are more appropriate drone-related topics worth doing so over. Thread titles like yours are part of the problem on this forum. Rather than trying to call attention to something that annoys you and potentially starting a discussion that helps fix the problem.

Instead, you go straight to insults, that isn't a fundamentally adult way to air your grievances. It merely helps turn the tone of this forum into the same uncomfortable one that pervades the rest of the internet.

Blueprint. I don't consider asshole a really bad word but I can understand how it's use may work against my cause. I really don't care. I like the word asshole. I can call my friends assholes and I can call people who piss me off assholes. Assholes.

Thanks for the input and discussion.

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040
BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10
Daryl Allan wrote:My neighbor bought a drone recently. This was my first experience with them. From over 7 acres away, I thought he was running a damn airboat back there. Way louder than I ever would have imagined those things would be.
Have you been on an airboat son? Those things are loud as hell!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Asshole with drone at Eldo today. "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started