Asshole with drone at Eldo today.

Original Post
Ralph Swansen · · Denver CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 270

It is a Sunday, you weren't filming any epic shit. I yelled at you from West Ridge very loudly.

You are an asshole.

ChossKing · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

found the footage. I think its from today. is this what you're talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY4pYswMJX0

Ray Lovestead · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 57

I am the jerk with the drone and I'm a little pissed off that you are so rude about it. I heard you loud and clear in Eldo, so why do you feel the need to bring this to the interwebs? It is a-holes like you that make me feel worse about who I am and make me reconsider my choices in radio control vehicles. Is what I'd say if I were that guy. I'm not, but wouldn't that be really cool?!

JulianG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

Was it this guy? mountainproject.com/blog/33... Look at me how great I am.

Maybe I can get a drone to carry my huge rack for me. Even better set a top rope

sherb · · Loveland, Ohio & Wheat Ridg... · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

Drones only fly for 15 min per charge and I was thinking of getting one. People don't like them?

JulianG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

I don't appreciate drones flying around me when I'm out there trying to get away from everyone one or freaking out. So if they are not delivering a beer keep them away

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26921504

Rude is bringing one of these abnoxious devices into a state park on a Sunday where people are there to enjoy nature. Especially when there is nothing extraordinary to film.

The noise these things make is very intrusive and is not unlike someone riding a two stroke dirt bike brazenly through the canyon.

I won't deny that the footage that these things achieve are unparalleled but I know I'm not alone when I say that I can live without your epic footage if it means that I can be out in nature without having to listen to the racket.

I'll continue to be rude about these jackass contraptions. I think it's even against the law to fly them in parks. I've always wanted a reason to own a slingshot.

I'm not even kidding.

Please fly this thing in open fields away from people.

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,115
Ray Lovestead wrote:I am the jerk with the drone and I'm a little pissed off that you are so rude about it. I heard you loud and clear in Eldo, so why do you feel the need to bring this to the interwebs? It is a-holes like you that make me feel worse about who I am and make me reconsider my choices in radio control vehicles. Is what I'd say if I were that guy. I'm not, but wouldn't that be really cool?!
Ray, were you in in Eldo State Park?? If you might at least read the rules:

http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/EldoradoCanyon/Pages/Activities.aspx

Photography - Note: DRONE usage is PROHIBITED.

I caught the joke later. Lots of good ones here :)

Ron Pivo · · Westcreek · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Drone use is restricted in Eldorado Canyon State Park and is limited to permits issued on a case-by-case basis by the park manager.

Eldorado Canyon State Park
http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/EldoradoCanyon/Pages/Filming-Photography-Permits.aspx

I kinda doubt that the drone operator in this case had a permit. If he did, he should post it up.

I live below a very popular cliff, and I can say that these things are very annoying. The last one that flew over was just out of range of my 12 gauge shotgun. The next may not be so lucky.

There were a bunch of people at Shelf cactus cliff last winter filming their buddy on his 5.11 project.

Some older dude gave them HELL. It was awesome. They did not ask permission from the many groups climbing around the popular cliff and it was sooo annoying.

They do not belong at the crag.

Unless some ridiculous crusher is being filmed doing some shit that we all would appreciate watching. And even then, that's usually done during the week, tastefully.

Ray Lovestead · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 57
Allen Sanderson wrote: Ray, were you in in Eldo State Park?? If you might at least read the rules: cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/... Photography - Note: DRONE usage is PROHIBITED.
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
Eric Carlos · · GJ · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 30

Someone was using one at Roadside crag down at the Red last month filming his buddy on a 5.7. I just told them they were not allowed, and they were obnoxious, and he stopped.

johnnyrig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65

Hmm... so climbers want the rest of the world to respect them and allow them their own personal space and usage; but they don't respect other people's hobbies. Interesting.

And then there's this one guy, ostensibly a climber, threatening to shoot one out of the sky "next to a very poopular cliff" who doesn't seem to understand just how much the majority of liberally-minded climbers abhor the ownership and use of firearms.

I like this thread! It's got potential!

Especially, bitching about the presence of other people in such popular locales... priceless.

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,115
Ray Lovestead wrote: I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, okay I did fully read the last bit of yer post. Mea culpa. But hey at least it got me to post up the rules.
John RB · · Superior, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 10

Are you guys kidding me?

The #1 source of noise pollution in Eldo is climbers yelling. I can hear people on the Naked Edge down on the Redgarden Trail. I can hear endless screaming from the bridge from the people on Wind Tower and the Bastille. They can't hear each other because of that annoying creek sound, so they YELL LOUDER.

But that doesn't ruin your "experience of nature."

The #2 source of noise pollution is airplanes. They fly to/from RMMA mostly, and many go straight for Eldo for the "amazing views". Some of them fly illegally low and I've even seen one aerobatic a-hole doing rolls right over the Bastille. This noise is a blight on the whole front-range and the fact that entitled twats think it's cool to get an aerial view of the canyon, at the expense of everyone there trying to have a moment of peace...

But drones? Seriously? That's the problem in Eldo?

-------

Wonder if Max Seigal got a permit for this?

https://vimeo.com/104457683

Brassmonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0
John RB wrote:------- Wonder if Max Seigal got a permit for this? vimeo.com/104457683
Max is a great guy and a boss with a drone. Knowing him I bet he took care of any permits he needed.
tim · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 50
johnnyrig wrote:Hmm... so climbers want the rest of the world to respect them and allow them their own personal space and usage; but they don't respect other people's hobbies. Interesting. And then there's this one guy, ostensibly a climber, threatening to shoot one out of the sky "next to a very poopular cliff" who doesn't seem to understand just how much the majority of liberally-minded climbers abhor the ownership and use of firearms. I like this thread! It's got potential! Especially, bitching about the presence of other people in such popular locales... priceless.
You're probably trolling but I'll feed you. I personally don't know any climbers that abhor gun use or ownership. You might want to revisit your assumptions.

Good assumption Johnny Ring.

This liberal will shoot that bullshit straight down.

Thank you.

Zach M · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0
John RB wrote:The #2 source of noise pollution is airplanes. They fly to/from RMMA mostly, and many go straight for Eldo for the "amazing views". Some of them fly illegally low and I've even seen one aerobatic a-hole doing rolls right over the Bastille. This noise is a blight on the whole front-range and the fact that entitled twats think it's cool to get an aerial view of the canyon, at the expense of everyone there trying to have a moment of peace...
As a pilot out of BDU, the view isn't that great of Eldo (the Flatirons are better), and most people fly over it because it's outside of the BJC airspace, it's a low point to get through the front range mountains while climbing to clear the divide, and most importantly it's actually on the V8 airway out of Jeffco!

Colorado is high enough that most light planes can't fly high over terrain, but almost no one will be illegally low over Eldo, getting below 500 feet over the trails (where there are people) would put you dangerously close to the mountains. Eldo is not a congested area, so there is no 1000 foot requirement. All the same, I think most people maintain 1000 feet through there.

Aerobatics over Eldo would be illegal (it's on an airway), so if you see someone doing loops and rolls low over the bastille, write down their tail number and call the FAA.
John RB wrote:Are you guys kidding me? The #1 source of noise pollution in Eldo is climbers yelling. I can hear people on the Naked Edge down on the Redgarden Trail. I can hear endless screaming from the bridge from the people on Wind Tower and the Bastille. They can't hear each other because of that annoying creek sound, so they YELL LOUDER. But that doesn't ruin your "experience of nature." The #2 source of noise pollution is airplanes. They fly to/from RMMA mostly, and many go straight for Eldo for the "amazing views". Some of them fly illegally low and I've even seen one aerobatic a-hole doing rolls right over the Bastille. This noise is a blight on the whole front-range and the fact that entitled twats think it's cool to get an aerial view of the canyon, at the expense of everyone there trying to have a moment of peace... But drones? Seriously? That's the problem in Eldo? ------- Wonder if Max Seigal got a permit for this? vimeo.com/104457683
Ok John.

Let's do a hypothetical...

Give the same amount of people who are climbing in the canyon a drone. Have them fly around all at the same time. How do you think that would sound?

Climber communication is intermittent and is just that, communication.

As I've stated above, the distinct sound of a drone is similar to a dirt bike but I'll even say it is worse as there is no fluctuation in the sound. It's like the biggest swarm of bees ever, flying around your head.

I'm all about cool hobbies but there's a reason I avoid Devils Head and the knucklehead ATV operators/ broken glass.

Somehow climbers just don't contribute that element to the park Do they?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply