Why are Bosch drills so expensive on CampSaver and LMS?


Original Post
ZachP · · Avon CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I get good prices on stuff from Liberty Mountain Sports and I'm planning on getting a Bosch 11536vsr (36V Rotary Hammer SDS-Plus). Why does LMS and CampSaver list their drills at $1,299 whereas CPO-Bosch , Walmart and others list the same drill at $699?

What's different about them? What am I missing?

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Im guessing MSRP is around $1300 (with crazy markup) and that most stores can sell it for a profit at much less.

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 465

No, CPO includes the complete kit. The other places are just a rip-off.

Includes:

36V Cordless Lithium-Ion 1 in. SDS-plus Rotary Hammer - 11536VSR
(2) 36V Cordless Lithium-Ion FatPack Battery - BAT836
360 degree Auxiliary Handle
36V Lithium-Ion 1-Hour Charger - BC830
Depth Gauge
Carrying Case

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Brian wrote:No, CPO includes the complete kit. The other places are just a rip-off. Includes: 36V Cordless Lithium-Ion 1 in. SDS-plus Rotary Hammer - 11536VSR (2) 36V Cordless Lithium-Ion FatPack Battery - BAT836 360 degree Auxiliary Handle 36V Lithium-Ion 1-Hour Charger - BC830 Depth Gauge Carrying Case
Ya I scrapped my original response after I actually looked at the links.
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

Just buy the new ryobi( m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...;mid=sbY6PieOZ%7Cdm_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_50250225579_pkw__pmt__product_206824269_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAiA6YDBBRDwtpTQnYzx5lASJAC57ObMGr97bTfVxFH62u5y4hkiRu4BD2nyyyUW9CYhooR75BoCJiXw_wcB)

Morgan Patterson · · CT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,332
Brian wrote:No, CPO includes the complete kit. The other places are just a rip-off.
CPO Refurbished 110%... look no further, don't waste your time else where unless its a climber sellin it to you for a good price.

Got the 11536VSR kit for $466 refurb
mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 550

The 11536VSR is a beast. Unless you're doing serious bolt work and don't mind the heft, the compact version is BY FAR the better choice for most.

The 11536C Compact model is fantastic and many, many people swear by it. CPO has it reconditioned with sale code for $330 which is damn good.

HOWEVER, both those Bosch tools are the "old tech" motors i.e. they're not brushless. Brushless is the new "hot" in power tools (See below for more)

If you're just getting into it and don't see heavy use in your near future, look at the Ryobi P222 SDS drill. $99 for the bare tool and $99 for a two pack of their 18v LiOn bats (which you can also use in many other of their tools). Yes, Ryobi is not professional grade but I've beaten the crap out of my DIY grade tools and gotten plenty of value out of them. $200 out the door is a steal AND the bats can be used for other things.
Ryobi P222 SDS Drill

Now, if I knew I was going to be doing a lot of hard drilling, the newer brushless tools would be worth a look.

Bosch's latest RHH181 would likely be my top purchase right now.
Bosch RHH181 Recon

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 465

Yeah, I also have a CPO refurb and it has been great. The 36v (11536VSR) is a beast (10 lbs) but it takes a few seconds to drill a hole in granite and the battery life is very long. It has 2.2 lbs of impact energy compared to 1.2 for the 18 volt.

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 630

I own both the 11536VSR and the lighter weight 11536C-2 36V compact Bosch. The battery lasts longer in the compact for the same amount of holes. The full size 11536VSR drills much faster and smoother however, the thing is a beast. Couple of notes, the battery's are interchangeable for both, and CPO usually stands for Certified Pre Owned. They are a great bargain. I've been thinking of selling my 11536VSR. I'm running out of holes to drill...hopefully.

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
t.farrell wrote:Im guessing MSRP is around $1300 (with crazy markup) and that most stores can sell it for a profit at much less.
It's not. I think MSRP is $699. In any case, anything over $600 for a brand new 11536vsr is a rip off. I paid $500 and you can get them used on ebay for around $350. Honestly, these things are such a beast that I would just get a used one on eBay. I've seen some that dident look like they were used that much going for under $375 shipped including two batteries and a charger.
ZachP · · Avon CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

That's sad that LMS and CampSaver charge so much. They must be paying retail for it instead of wholesale

apoet · · AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 183
BigB wrote:Just buy the new ryobi( m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE...;mid=sbY6PieOZ%7Cdm_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_50250225579_pkw__pmt__product_206824269_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAiA6YDBBRDwtpTQnYzx5lASJAC57ObMGr97bTfVxFH62u5y4hkiRu4BD2nyyyUW9CYhooR75BoCJiXw_wcB)
Is this a real suggestion? The price seems too good to be true.
Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 465
apoet wrote: Is this a real suggestion? The price seems too good to be true.
It will take you all day to drill a hole in hard rock. It has an impact force of 0.9. You get what you pay for.
20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
Brian wrote: It will take you all day to drill a hole in hard rock. It has an impact force of 0.9. You get what you pay for.
x2. It's only a 1/2" drill. High-end rotary impact cordless drills are 1 1/8". The 18v battery is nothing worth writing home about either. It's probably fine for soft sandstone. I wouldent get it for harder rock unless your absolute #1 concern is weight.
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

(disclaimer: I've only used it on sandstone) it actually works quite well in sandstone(red rock) and drills a hole in less than a min or so. I was expecting garbage, but it did well... and at that price ($99) you can drop it and buy another and still be way ahead $$$ wise....it's also SDS, and lightweight
Imho if your doing a route or a few anchors here and there it's fine, if your REALLY into bolting then get the more industrial brands.

apoet · · AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 183

Nice, it seems like a good middle ground between a hand drill and a Bosch in terms of weight and price.

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 550
apoet wrote:Nice, it seems like a good middle ground between a hand drill and a Bosch in terms of weight and price.
This is for an older model of the Ryobi but others agreed with your assessment. You do get a better product with the pro level but do you need it? Probably not.

Cordless Drill Review
Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 465

Just to be sure we are comparing apples to apples the price of the Ryobi is for a bare tool (no battery). When compared to the others is: $307 ($99 tool, $89 battery [x2], $30 charger) If you compare that to a recon Bosch it is pretty close ($349) and the Bosch is way more drill.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-rhh181-01-rt-18v-cordless-lithium-ion-3-4-in--sds-plus-rotary-hammer-with-fatpack-batteries/bshrrhh181-01-rt,default,pd.html

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 550
Brian wrote:Just to be sure we are comparing apples to apples the price of the Ryobi is for a bare tool (no battery). When compared to the others is: $307 ($99 tool, $89 battery [x2], $30 charger) If you compare that to a recon Bosch it is pretty close ($349) and the Bosch is way more drill. cpooutlets.com/factory-reco...
Bare Tool is $99. 2x 4aH Bats are $99 (Home Depot has 2 pack special). Charger is $40 or $60 with 2aH bat. So $110 from scratch difference. Just depends on what you need it for. At some threshold, the Bosch will make sense.
20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,128
BigB wrote:(disclaimer: I've only used it on sandstone) it actually works quite well in sandstone(red rock) and drills a hole in less than a min or so.
That's pretty bad for a rotary hammer drill. For reference, my 11536vsr will drill a 3/8" x 3.5" hole in soft sandstone in about five seconds. A 1/2" hole doesnt take much longer. I can drill a 1/2" x 3" hole in steel-hard basalt in about 20 seconds.

Something to consider if getting this drill for hard rock. I'd expect you to go through batteries quickly if you're having to spend 2+ min per hole drilling hard rock.
mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 550
20 kN wrote: That's pretty bad for a rotary hammer drill. For reference, my 11536vsr will drill a 3/8" x 3.5" hole in soft sandstone in about five seconds. A 1/2" hole doesnt take much longer. I can drill a 1/2" x 3" hole in steel-hard basalt in about 20 seconds. Something to consider if getting this drill for hard rock. I'd expect you to go through batteries quickly if you're having to spend 2+ min per hole drilling hard rock.
Long story short, I had a Bosch that occasionally got used. It was great but I sold it for other things. Recently had a DIY project come up - bought the P222 as I already had some of the Ryobi ecosystem and needed new bats. So P222 and 8Ah for $199. Not bad. It's slower than the Bosch compact but gets the job done. 1 - 4aH battery did north of 16 holes in HARD limestone (1/2x4") but I didn't run the battery dry.

3/8"x4" looks like maybe 16s in hard concrete? start at 1:55

https://youtu.be/zdlBXSbxAkw?t=1m55s

If I were drilling a lot in hard rock I'd buy a Bosch RHH181 - Brushless and faster BUT the Ryobi still will make holes in rock for you. Just depends where people want their cost/benefit curve to fall.

The Bosch will hold resale value of course.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply