Mountain Project Logo

Guide book review of 'Little Cottonwood Rock Climbing' by Tony Calderone

Original Post
thehackattacks · · Park City, UT · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 2,553

I've been a fan of these books for years. I like the "everything you need-nothing you don't" format approach the author has taken, streamlining it down to the most important elements (route name, length, rating, stars, pro etc). Adding onto that a photograph and route-tracing and you're ready to rock n roll. BUT THE BEST thing is the size and weight! The other Wasatch guidebooks (i.e. the time-tested Ruckman) are beautiful, but are SO much book to lug in a pack! At half the size and weight, the Calderone guidebooks definitely are my "carry-in-the-pack" choice whether it's just a craggin day OR big alpine adventure. As a quick, easy-to-use visual reference and with a hardy new design, I feel these books are the ideal and practical solution to the beta+size/weight equation.

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 465

Since you offered your opinion, I'll offer mine: Pfft.

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 70

I like tome like books. The Handren Red Rock guides are great. If I need something out of the book on a climb I'll copy it and bring one page.

If I'm cragging and need a book, if it weighs less than a school text book it's fine..

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply