Dropped BD vapor helmet

Original Post
brick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 5

I found it on a ledge on a popular climb, looks like it had been dropped an abandoned. the plastic on the outside appears a bit dinged up but the foam on the inside is intact. chuck it or keep it?

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

micro fractures

can foam actually micro-fracture? i mean it can dent but the way force moves through it youd think it wouldnt fracture because its soft fibers with lots of air. i dont know shit though

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200

Just pick the hair and wash the blood out of the cracks and good as new.

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10

send it to me for inspection etc. etc.

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,135

At the top of a climb with a walk off I took off my very new helmet only to watch it roll and go airborne. I should have gone and looked for it but as it was a really nice carbon fiber helmet I was too bummed cause it was trash. I am sure it was found by another climber who trashed it cause they did not know its history. You should do the same.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,755

MP Lost & Found forum.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 115

It could be fine. But is your life worth $140?

Unlike cams and biners, helmets can sustain damage that is not visible to the naked eye, especially with foam protection. A suspension harness is pretty easy to inspect, and the harness protects your head by redirecting and spreading the load. With foam, you can't be sure if it is intact.

If there are no obvious signs of damage from a fall, and you think it is OK, and are willing to roll the dive over $10, then use it. If not, turn it into a planter or art project.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 200

It's better than no helmet and it's free.

CTB · · Cave Creek, AZ · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 180

smash it and throw it out.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456
brick wrote:can foam actually micro-fracture? i mean it can dent but the way force moves through it youd think it wouldnt fracture because its soft fibers with lots of air. i dont know shit though
it was a joke. If you don't have a helmet, I'd wear that one because it's better than nothing. Probably not quite as good as a new one though
mike again · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 40

Is it this one?

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/missing-helmet-black-corridor---red-rocks/112289616

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 246

Do yourself and the person who dropped it a favor and throw it away.

no mike its not the one from the nevada post. i found it a month ago and its red. Im already have the petzl orange mushroom tip helmet, this one just looks cooler. Im gonna wear it in situations where looking cool is more important that safety like ski mountaineering and dry tool comps.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 478

Plastic on vapor is always dinged up if you don't carry it in your pack or hit anything. If the outer shell has any deformation beyond minor dings I would toss it. The shell has Kevlar rods in it and they are supposed to take most of a real impact, if they're bent it's trash.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 158

Not sure of this design, but Kevlar is usually done in an aramid process, which is essentially a glass like surround on the Kevlar fibers if I understood it right. Better than nothing if ur partner doesn't have one.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply