Mountain Project Logo

Use of supplementary Oxygen at high altitude

Original Post
Alexander Fleming · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Calling all users of supplementary oxygen, both in the past and at present!

My name is Alex, and I am a final year Industrial design student at Loughborough university (UK). I am working on a research project, as part of my final year major research project, that is looking into the use of supplementary oxygen at high altitude. I have have explored the possibility of how supplementary oxygen systems might be improved to become both safer and more efficient, as well as being mush more sustainable.

I am looking for information from uses of such equipment with regards to the equipment they currently use:
-Whats good about current open circuit breathing systems?
-What are the issues you currently have with the equipment you use? weight, efficiency, design etc
-What kind of equipment do you carry with you to high altitude at the moment other than your oxygen system?
-Does the Oxygen system take up a lot of room / get in the way of other equipment you carry?
-What are the specifics on the size and weight of the equipment that you use?

Any information on this I would be extremely grateful for, as will help with the progression of the project. Or if anyone may be able to point me in the direction of a person / group / forum that may be able to help me with this research, I would be very grateful

Many thanks in advance,

Alex Fleming
Industrial design Student
Loughborough University

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

What about the non altitude users of oxygen, medical use? Pretty big crowd, and some are stuck with no choice (for medical reasons) but hauling a tank around. Not very sexy compared to K2 climbing, but a lot more helpful if you can contribute something useful.

Also, pilots of non-pressurized (small) planes need to carry oxy at 10,000 feet, pretty common in western US. Try a forum aimed at recreational or back country pilots.

These two groups are a heck of a lot larger pool than big time mountaineers, and might even talk to you!

Plenty of folks on this forum go to altitudes that need to be considered and respected, but not with oxygen, they just do it.

Best, Helen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Use of supplementary Oxygen at high altitude"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started