Keep your valuables locked up

Original Post
MikeyHeinz · · SLC, UT · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 45

Just a friendly reminder to anyone climbing around SLC, please leave your valuables locked in your car or take them up with you on the climb. My girlfriend had her iPhone stolen out of her backpack at the base of Steorts' Ridge on Saturday, presumably from a guy who was alone and wandering around saying he was looking for some shoes he left at the base. Many climbing areas are easily accessible from the road, and it seems like theft is becoming more and more of an issue in all of the canyons as people learn that climbers leave items at the base of climbs unattended.

Just thought I should let the community know that this is still an issue, and to not let your guard down, unfortunately. Just be smart, keep your car locked, hide or lock valuables in your car, and don't keep anything valuable in your backpacks.

Scott Morris · · Bountiful, Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 280

Sorry to hear about that and thanks for the reminder. I was also there on Saturday and I always get nervous leaving anything behind in the pack, especially at a popular spot like this one. When we left around 2:30 pm there was a dude all by himself who was playing with gear placements at the base of North Dihedrals. Maybe he was legitimately working on his placement skills but it struck me as odd that he didn't even look up or acknowledge our existence as we hiked past him. Who knows if he had anything to do with the stolen goods though.

Jeremy Polk · · Sandy, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

Lame. I was at the Dead Snag earlier this summer and a guy got his iphone stolen out of his pack. Seems to be a popular spot for theft.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply