Mountain Project Logo

Crags are NOT Gyms!

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
TKrosbakken wrote:I'll just leave this here...
That wall is HUUUGE...
DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

OP- Goes to Muir Valley on one of the busiest weekends of the year, goes to Bruise Bros or Great Wall, proceeds to complain about all the gumby's at what are probably the most popular gumby crags in the entire gorge. Train a little harder and you can likely avoid this situation altogether, even without training their are plenty of other spots. P.S. I was at the Solarium today and shared the entire wall with 2 other climbers all day :), 10 cars in the parking lot and perfect weather. You're going to have to explore some other crags if you want to get away from the crowds on October and November Saturdays. I'd be happy to suggest some walls to you if you tell me a little about what kind of routes you're trying to get on. The TP situation really shouldn't be happening now that Muir has 3 different restrooms, one located just down the trail from BB.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
Toad wrote: This is an important insight. But to be fair, I bet Muir was an absolute shitshow. It was a shitshow 5 years ago and I bet it's ten times worse now.
Not sure how it can be worse now..I haven't made it down there this season, but with the start of their mandatory parking fee per car, there actually could be a bit of reduction in volume I'd think. AND with their valley floor pit toilets easily located and kept in fine condition, there should be a huge reduction in shit-in-the-woods messes left behind. Really people....do FOMV need to have a 'ShitPatrol' person with a radio follow any climber who wanders off into the woods away from their ropes and group, just to check out? Hope that all of their improvements will lead to better responsibility, and not just additioinal noobs' who arrive clueless and carefree.
DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Traffic has seemed pretty consistent with last year before the parking ban, especially at the gubmby crags.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Crags are NOT Gyms!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started