Lost my ticks and stars

Original Post
John Tex · · Estes · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 25

Accidentally hit the logged out button on the app and when I logged back in I noticed I have lost all my ticks and star ratings since June 9th. I normally sync them as soon as I mark them so i really don't think I have forgotten to sync them since June. Any way that can be restored?

Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 2,386

I'm afraid not. We're working on a new version of the app that auto-syncs data, but that won't help you now. Sorry about that!

Sara Paradis · · Lincoln, RI · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I was using the ticks to cache my climbing resume for future application to AMGA rock guide course. Mountain Project, please don't add a feature that isn't ready for prime time. I didn't understand why ticks stayed in pending seemingly forever, but I didn't care because I could still reference them, now I need to try and recreate my resume from memory.

JFM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,828

The feature on the old version of the app worked just fine-- if you hit the "sync now" button-- which should have been something you did if you wondered why the app and the website were "out of sync" and your ticks were pending. 

At least now the auto-sync removes that step  

Sorry you lost your data, that sucks :(

Hobo Greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 115

No offense but if the only record of your climbs is in a single digital format, you're asking to lose your data. Same as a photographer who doesn't back up their work on multiple hard drives.

Thanks Greg, that's very helpful. I'll start etching my climbing resume in marble for posterity... 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,045

I think Greg was likely suggesting something along the lines of using the Export feature every once in a while and saving a copy.

Hobo Greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 115
Sara Paradis wrote:

Thanks Greg, that's very helpful. I'll start etching my climbing resume in marble for posterity... 

Ever heard of pen and paper?

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

I think Greg was likely suggesting something along the lines of using the Export feature every once in a while and saving a copy.

Thanks Alicia, I had never accessed the site on a computer so I was unaware of that feature. 

I doubt Greg's intention was to be helpful, help doesn't usually start with "no offense but..." I think his intention was to rebuke me for doing something stupid (true) and then using the forum to whine about it (guilty). 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,045
Sara Paradis wrote:

Thanks Alicia, I had never accessed the site on a computer so I was unaware of that feature. 

I doubt Greg's intention was to be helpful, help doesn't usually start with "no offense but..." I think his intention was to rebuke me for doing something stupid (true) and then using the forum to whine about it (guilty). 

Well, I definitely intended to be helpful. I didn't notice that feature for a long time, and I frequently access on a computer. It's easy to miss. The export format isn't super glamorous, but it works as a just-in-case backup well enough. I am sorry you lost your data! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply