Mountain Project Logo

Petzl Pur Ice vs. Ice vs. Cascade

Original Post
Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

I haven't seen the new Pur Ice picks compared to Ice and Casde picks so here are a few pictures. The Pur Ice has less downward angle, larger beak (first tooth), smaller secondary teeth, shorter, and is much thinner. The Pur Ice is less steep and thinner than even the now discontinued Cascade picks. I suspect Nomics with the new picks will swing easier into water ice than the other picks but will likely be less durable. No dry picks or Russian armor picks since I don't use them.

Ice on top, Pur Ice on the bottom

Pur Ice vs. Ice

Pur Ice laid over the Ice pic showing the different angle.
Pur Ice on top, Ice on bottom

Pur Ice laid over Cascade pic showing the angle and length difference.
Pur Ice on top, Cascade on bottom

Cascade vs. Pur Ice vs. Ice showing tooth profile and overall height differences.
Cascade vs. Pur Ice vs. Ice

All three picks showing thickness comparison thickest to thinnest: Ice, Cascade, Pur Ice.
Ice, Cascade, Pur Ice
Koy · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 55

Great comparison & thanks for sharing. Where did you get the new picks?

Alex Lloyd · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 30

It looks like Backcountry just started stocking them.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

Not much ice yet in my neighborhood, but I'll be curious to read the reviews on these. It seems like a lot of people drifted towards CAMP tools recently in part because of the picks. Maybe these new Petzl ones will make for hero sticks on brittle ice...

Koy wrote:Great comparison & thanks for sharing. Where did you get the new picks?
I bought them directly from Petzl. Kind of a shame, I think I have four sets of Ice picks.
jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

Just in case anyone was wondering, they don't appear to be T-rated. Can't have your cake and eat it too :-)

imgur.com/a/5imGR

jdejace wrote:Just in case anyone was wondering, they don't appear to be T-rated. Can't have your cake and eat it too :-) imgur.com/a/5imGR
That is correct. The Cascade were not T rated either.
Aaron T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Any update on how the Pur Ice picks perform?

N Nelsen · · Thornton, NH · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 140

I've been using them this past week and have found they are very easy to place (I've actually forgone the pick weights for the time being until I get used to the additional ease of placement) and even during those occasional deep, tool vibrating placements they are still substantially easier to clean. Much easier than the petzl ice picks, and of course still worlds better than cleaning a deeply driven BD pick.

I've found that this new pick angle has made transitions from stepped to vertical ice much easier with this slightly more relaxed pick angle. Once on a consistently steep angle, I havn't noticed the need to alter my swing much compared to the original pick angle, albeit there is slightly less of a need to dial that specific wrist flick for solid placements as has been needed with prior petzl picks.

Durability has actually been very surprising. After a week of rock strikes and frozen kitty litter New England top outs the picks are still quite sharp with just the external coating being worn away. Yes, they are not T Rated and with this in mind I would be wary about doing any substantial torquing. These picks are highly recommended for pure (get it?) ice routes- just be willing to re-sharpen more often if your adventures are bringing you onto more mixed or alpine type terrain.

Aaron T wrote:Any update on how the Pur Ice picks perform?
I haven't climbed on them a ton but but here are my initial impressions. The picks are narrower so they displace less ice and take less effort for first swing sticks. The new angle is a major improvement swinging more naturally. The material seems about as hard as all the other Petzl picks so durability is unchanged.

With that said, they are not perfect. The secondary teeth are too big so if you're used to "Ice" picks and over drive the Pur they are difficult to clean. There were a few times I found myself grunting to get the tools out. I'll reduce the size of the teeth with a file and then they'll be perfect.

So in short, they are probably the best picks Petzl has made for the Nomics. They just need a little love with a file.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply