Mountain Project Logo

Gear Insurance for long Roadtrips

Original Post
NCD · · Boulder, CO and anywhere I… · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 55

Hi, anyone use photography insurance for gear while traveling and recommend a plan?

I am mostly worried about days I am just climbing and leave my photo gear in the car. I do photography professionally now so the time has come I definitely need it regardless.

I priced up the APA plans (I am a member) and got quoted a $469 Premium with $500 deductible. I assume the $1000 deductible for theft would apply more likely in my case.

Here is the details for anyone interested,
apainsuranceservices.com/

Camera Insurance & Equipment Coverage Features:

-Covers OWNED and RENTED equipment
-WORLDWIDE Coverage
-Includes Equipment Coverage UP TO $21,000 for Non-APA Members, and $31,000 for APA Members
-Includes Coverage for TWO LAPTOPS (with maximum value of $2,500)
-Includes Coverage for THEFT and MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE ($1,000 deductible)
-Includes Coverage for FIRE, VANDALISM and ACCIDENTAL BREAKAGE ($500 deductible)

I think PPA has 15k included with membership and may be more affordable.
ppa.com/membership/content.…

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,135

Check into general renters or home owners insurance with a rider for your camera gear.

NCD · · Boulder, CO and anywhere I… · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 55

I was more thinking of situations such as living out of vans where you would not have either.

PPA sounds like the way to go, I am going to join just for the insurance. I can also add the additional coverage required when I need it for client shoots for property/liability coverage and renting gear.

OrganicChemistry · · Tucson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

doesn't seem like enough coverage to me. what's the cost to replace your bag and all the goodies?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply