Thinking about a Career Change: Guiding

Original Post
cjohns716 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Hi all,

Just looking into the possibility of making the move to guiding as a profession. I'd love to hear from any of you who have taken this route, considered this route and decided against, or are considering and want to share any advice, I'd love for you to DM me.

Thank you all

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

Guide and a pizza.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
cjohns716 wrote:Hi all, Just looking into the possibility of making the move to guiding as a profession. I'd love to hear from any of you who have taken this route, considered this route and decided against, or are considering and want to share any advice, I'd love for you to DM me. Thank you all
1. Ask yourself "why" first and make sure you have some really good answers.

2. You might get better responses if you clarify what king of guiding: rock, alpine, ice, ski, adventure, canyon, river, some combination?

3. Seriously and carefully assess your income needs.

4. Do you like doing some of the same routes a lot? Like, really a lot? Like more than 100 times in a year (and next year, and next year, and next year...)?

5. Do you really like people? All different kinds - some serious about climbing, many not so much?
20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348

One thing to consider is the pay, which is less than fantastic starting out. It's also worth noting that if you think guiding involves taking hardmen up ultra classic 5.12s, it doesent. You'll probably be guiding the same 5.7 romps over and over until the end of time. The vast majority of your clients will be new to climbing and so you have to be okay teaching people things that would be common sense to you.

Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 70

Do you enjoy being poor, making climbing boring, and holding stranger's dicks?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Do you know any guides, personally? If so, having a conversation with him/her would be helpful.

A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I climbed with a guide a few times. After we got to know him on a longer trip, he started to open up about how he didn't like most of his clients. I don't think he was entirely pleased with his decision. I could be wrong though. He usually ended those conversations with "well, it beats working."

McHull · · Fairfield, PA · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 250

for your consideration. These programs and other like it will give you a solid educational background that may open up some diverse opportunities in the "Outdoor Industry"

Garrett College (Maryland)
Garrett also has a certificate program (non-degree)

Frostburg Univ Adventure Sports Management

Tim Lau · · Hendersonville, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 20

I've got to believe that "being" a guide is not very lucrative. But, "owning" a guide service could be.

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 140

Are you a know-it-all?

j/k

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply