Brazil, Rio, & Italianos Beta

Original Post
Thomas Gissing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hi all,

Taking a trip to Brazil in a couple weeks. Will be spending most of the time in Rio, with a trip to Minas Gerais to climb at Cerra di Sepo.

Just wondering if there's anyone who's been there who could offer any tips? Is there any easy-access single pitch sport crags around Rio? Also, has anyone climbed the classic multi-pitch there Italianos - is it sandbag, and is it safe?

Thankful for any advice to make the trip easier.

Cheers.

Raiden · · Royal Oak, MI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 4,485

For Serra do Cipo in Minas Gerais, there is a nice guidebook that you can buy from some places in Cipo. I'm not sure if you could find it outside of there, maybe you could check in Rio. Cipo seems to generally be considered the best sport climbing in Brazil.
I climbed there for a couple days and stayed at the Abrigo Cipo ( abrigocipo.com.br/). It's a beautiful place to stay and the owner is a really nice guy (and very strong climber). You can buy the guidebook here also. There are several other climber hostel type places that you could stay at.

I have never been to Rio, but it is supposed to be great "urban climbing" (i.e. you're right there in the city). Here is a nice video showing Daila Ojeda and some other climbers climbing at what looks to be a great single pitch sport climbing area: vimeo.com/80028636
They also climb the Pao do Acucar (Sugar Loaf) but I'm not sure if the route they did was Via dos Italianos or something else. You can also climb the Corcovado feature (the Christ the Redeemer statue is at the top).

There are quite a few climbing guide services in Rio that I'm sure could answer any questions that you might have. You can find them easily by searching them on google.

Have a nice trip.

Thomas Gissing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks for the advice!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply