public v private land on June Lake Loop

Original Post
kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 9,731

Wondering how to really know what is public land (versus private land) around the June Lake Loop.

In the last few months I noticed a half-pitch crag close to the June Lake Loop road -- but it had a No Trespassing sign not far away. Which made me wonder if the cliff itself, or obvious reasonable access to it from below, is on private land.

Seems like many modern maps do not show this distinction.

Anyway, the place I'm most interested in is just north of the southern winter closure gate for the June Lake Loop road. Which is just north of where Rush Creek crosses the road, by a power plant on the west side of the road. This is a ways south from Silver Lake.
- - > See this area on Map

The crag is on the west side of the main asphalt road, but there is also an old dirt road below the level of the cliff which is also on the west side of the main road.

Anybody know the legal status (or how to find out) of the land on the west side of the road north of southern winter closure gate?

Thanks a lot,

Ken

Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 135

Ken,
The crag you're talking about, assuming it is the nice granite bluff I am thinking of, supposedly has always been privately owned (I may have this wrong) but a new owner has not been welcoming to climbers. There have been local climbers using this thing as a private little training crag for many years and he basically shut the thing down.
Second hand info but I wouldn't go test your luck.

Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 135

Oh wait, I thought you meant a crag further south. Looks like you are talking about Roadside Ice- which has had some bolted lines spring up recently, but is generally an single pitch Ice crag and which IS on private (Edison) property.
People still go there and generally don't get hassled, but technically they are in the right if they ask you to leave.

Thanks for those thoughts.

I went and checked out that "roadside ice" crag a few days ago. The obvious slab about 500 feet north NNW from the winter closure gate, to the west side of the road. There's an old narrow road between the slab and the main June Loop road.

I did find two No Trespassing signs there, one on the old road and another about fifteen feet up on the rock a short ways south from the main slab -- seemed clearly "aimed" at the main slab and the base area below it.

. (I think the rock type of that "roadside" crag is quartzite).

Accepting that the "roadside" crag is on private (Edison?) land,
my next question is, What is the
public versus private status
of the crags about 0.25 mile farther NNW, higher off the west side of the main road (but lower than the wilderness boundary?), overlooking the SW part of Silver Lake. Around
GPS lat long (N37.7721 W119.1273)

Those cliffs to be an extension of the "roadside" crag - (and also quartzite).

A map that the Mammoth visitors center dug out for me seemed to show a north-south boundary between Public land on the west and private land on the east -- with these northerly cliffs on the Public side. But boundary on that map also seemed to put the roadside crag on the Public side, so I'm not ready to trust it.

An experienced climber told me that if I really want to know, go to the County office at Bridgeport, and they have legal maps for tax.

Ken

Caleb Padgett · · Rockville, utah · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 75

check out this APP. huntinggpsmaps.com A buddy of mine who is a hunter told me about it because they face many of the same issues climbers do when it comes to access. From what I have found this is the easiest way to get this info realtime and not having to access hard copies of public records. There is a free trial so you can use it without paying for a few days then it will cost you. I hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll try that.
. (when I'm not dead tired).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply