Angels Landing Locks

Original Post
Rich Bergstrom · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10

My buddy took a picture of these locked up bolt hangers on the top of Angels Landing.

Locked up bolts on Angels Landing

Does anyone know the backstory? I'm just curious.

Hobo Greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110

It's so no one chops em. Can't be too careful these days.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 13,267

How does that stop chopping the bolt or pounding the hanger flat? Locks are most often used to inhibit clipping bolts.

OrganicChemistry · · Tucson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

possibly love locks
just a guess tho'

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Orem UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590
OrganicChemistry wrote:possibly love locks just a guess tho'
That's my best guess as well
Carl Martin · · San Francisco · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 15

I was up there yesterday and saw a few sets of three bolts like that. Dunno what it's up here for.

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Orem UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

the most common reason the bolts are there is because of search and rescue. Some unsuspecting tourist takes a tumble, and if there are no good natural anchors SAR will just drop in a few bolts, usually 3. There are a ton of them in the ground if you look out the windows of the long tunnel from where SAR has pulled people out of pine creek.

Jeremy Polk · · Sandy, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

It does seem weird as there are a lot of other bolted anchors up there as well. What's so special about this particular set? And it looks like you could still clip a biner to either of them.

Rich Bergstrom · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10
Jeremy Polk wrote:It does seem weird as there are a lot of other bolted anchors up there as well. What's so special about this particular set? And it looks like you could still clip a biner to either of them.
I've never seen locks on bolts before. I wondered what was going on. 2 bolts and an empty drilled hole, these were probably for a rescue (3 bolts for a SAR operation).

Probably some lover's locks on the bolts. Idk. It was different...
Collin Holt · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 40

Here in golden, the route setters will remove the hangers on bolts used for setting ropes for drilling, and slack-lining... to prevent people from TRing on them... may be something like that.

Jeremy Polk · · Sandy, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Rich Bergstrom wrote: I've never seen locks on bolts before. I wondered what was going on. 2 bolts and an empty drilled hole, these were probably for a rescue (3 bolts for a SAR operation). Probably some lover's locks on the bolts. Idk. It was different...
Yeah I've never seen locks on bolts either. Seemed weird to me.
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,702

Gotta be a SAR thing. They've unfortunately had to do a couple of body retrievals in recent years.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply