Indian Creek in December?

Original Post
josh-works · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0
TL;DR: Is Indian Creek way too cold to climb in early December? I don't mind the cold in general. If it's tolerable... do *you* want to climb with me?

I've got some space to climb for a few days, December 9-11 (maybe more.)

Just moved to Golden, CO, and really want to climb at Indian Creek.

I've got lots of sport and east-coast (Gunks/Seneca) trad experience, up through mid 5.11 (trad) and 5.12+ sport, but never been to Indian Creek.

I'm pretty bad at crack climbing, and really want to remedy the situation.

I won't have a chance to climb out there again until fall 2017, so really want to make it happen if possible.

I'm normal, I promise:

twitter: twitter.com/josh_works

I write at josh.works/

I write about climbing at climbersguide.co/
KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 55

As long as there are no storms or cold fronts, it should be awesome. Just be prepared for very cold camping. Wish I could go but my schedule (and recent training-or lack of) precludes IC.

KevinCO wrote:As long as there are no storms or cold fronts, it should be awesome. Just be prepared for very cold camping. Wish I could go but my schedule (and recent training-or lack of) precludes IC.
Thanks Kevin! This is encouraging. I don't mind cold camping, just don't wanna be freezing my buns off too terribly while climbing.

If your schedule/training changes and you wanna come with, lmk!
KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 55

Josh, thanks! I am aiming to be ready for IC late winter to early spring.

Keep a close eye on the weather. It doesn't take much of a cold front to cancel. Aim for a window during a high pressure ridge.

edit to add: just read your schedule, maybe that fall.

Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 45

It can get bitterly cold there. You should have a backup plan

Ball wrote:It can get bitterly cold there. You should have a backup plan
My backup plan would (currently) be Red Rocks, Las Vegas. Do you think that's suitable, or would you recommend something else?
Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 45
josh-works wrote: My backup plan would (currently) be Red Rocks, Las Vegas. Do you think that's suitable, or would you recommend something else?
RR is a lateral move. The climate changes more day to day, but on average I don't think it's warmer.
Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

I think climbing in December is very weather dependent but very possible. Similar to what KevinCO said, if you can catch days with lots of sun and limited wind you should be fine. Heavy cloud cover can make it beyond tolerably cold.

Its going to get really cold at night so plan on getting a late start each day and bring plenty of warm gear for camping. You have short days due to the late start and early sunset but still plenty of hours to get in some good climbing. I find Donnelly Canyon and Cat Wall are the warmest cliffs.

I wouldn't book a trip this far out but keep an eye on the weather and try to time it right.

Mike Slavens wrote:I think climbing in December is very weather dependent but very possible. Similar to what KevinCO said, if you can catch days with lots of sun and limited wind you should be fine. Heavy cloud cover can make it beyond tolerably cold. Its going to get really cold at night so plan on getting a late start each day and bring plenty of warm gear for camping. You have short days due to the late start and early sunset but still plenty of hours to get in some good climbing. I find Donnelly Canyon and Cat Wall are the warmest cliffs. I wouldn't book a trip this far out but keep an eye on the weather and try to time it right.
Thanks for this advice! I have flexibility in my schedule, so I won't make concrete plans until the weather starts shaping up.

Good to know that with the right window, it's climbable, though. Thank you!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply