Mountain Project Logo

Outside/REI Black Friday campaign

Original Post
Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Does anyone else feel like telling Outside and REI to go stick their OptOutside campaign where the sun doesn't shine?

I don't appreciate the implied judgement about whatever it is I want to do when I have the freedom to make a decision about it.

I wonder if this was Donald Trump's idea.

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

Yeah - I'm in favor of people being forced to work on Thanksgiving and abandon their families in the middle of a holiday so retailers can make extra bucks. Screw REI for caring.

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 86

REI's users are far more than just outdoor junkies. I used to work there and people from all walks of life would stop in to buy stuff. I think REI's idea behind this campaign is trying to turn everyone into outdoor junkies, which I am ok with.

Tim Lau · · Hendersonville, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 20

Is this really something to get worked up about or spend energy on? Last I checked, if you don't like a retailer's stuff, then #optoutofgivingitanyenergy

Michael Spiesbach · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 105

As people who love the outdoors I think we shold support REI's attempt to get more people to walk way from shopping malls and step into nature.. They just want people to share in the wonder that we do...

Obviously that campaign is not geared towered the MP community who will all mostly be at creeksgiving anyway..

People esp kids have become so attached to screens and are missing out on what our world has to offer... Good for REI for actually standing behind there brand of outdoor loving adventure and giving up what is probably a huge day of profit.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

If they didn't do it in conjunction with a massive pre-Holiday sale...

Mason Roberts · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 197
Austin Baird wrote:Yeah - I'm in favor of people being forced to work on Thanksgiving and abandon their families in the middle of a holiday so retailers can make extra bucks. Screw REI for caring.
+1
Michael Spiesbach · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 105
Jon Frisby wrote:If they didn't do it in conjunction with a massive pre-Holiday sale...
Which attract nothing close to the crowds on black Friday...
Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

Having worked thanksgiving and Black Friday, if you are shopping on either day (for sales that aren't even that good, typically), I am absolutely judging you, and I will gladly shop more at REI if they lose your business for feeling "judged".

Working the retail jungle on thanksgiving and Black Friday, I've also felt like time I could be spending with my family was completely wasted when corporate-level decisions meant nobody showed up to shop on Thursday, or at 6am on Friday. The REI business decision was that Black Friday is not a big day for them, and the human decision was that they gained more than they lost by closing on Friday.

REI is taking a very specific course here, and it's one that Americans as a whole have forgotten: spend money at places not just because they have good prices on the crap you want, but because they make a positive contribution to society. Vote with your wallet.

If you prefer your consumer outlets to exist solely to line the pockets of the execs, I suppose you can shop elsewhere. Walmart for instance.

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

I just wish that stupid banner at the top of the app would disappear.

Shane Zentner · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 205

I have never shopped on Thanksgiving day or Black Friday because I chose to spend that time with family/friends, which, I believe, is more important than shopping for big screen t.v.'s or climbing gear. Although I do support REI for promoting this idea and closing on those days, perhaps not advertising the concept so much would good.

Ian Machen · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 35

Current REI retail employee here. I'm a big fan of it. They are literally paying ALL of their employees, on Black Friday, to go outside and enjoy nature. 6 hours of pay for part time, and 8 hours for full time. They're standing behind the concept of getting people outdoors and away from the madness that Black Friday has become.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
Ian Machen wrote:Current REI retail employee here. I'm a big fan of it. They are literally paying ALL of their employees, on Black Friday, to go outside and enjoy nature. 6 hours of pay for part time, and 8 hours for full time. They're standing behind the concept of getting people outdoors and away from the madness that Black Friday has become.
Which is the only way you can get an REI employee to get outside anyway...jk, kind of...

All seriousness aside, the optoutside movement is simply a marketing tactic with the goal of trying to improve their image amongst the outdoors community as a whole. They wouldn't do it if there wasn't something in it for them so while it's a great move on their part it's hardly this altruistic gesture that people seem to think it is.
Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

why do people feel entitled to have Black Friday off in the first place?
take a PTO day if you want a day off.

Ian Machen · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 35
matt snyder wrote:why do people feel entitled to have Black Friday off in the first place? take a PTO day if you want a day off.
I don't think anyone feels entitled to Black Friday off. I know for sure that when I started working retail that I never expected to have it off, but getting paid to take the day off is pretty damn nice. Like Tapawingo said, they aren't doing it purely out of altruism. It drives sales for the co-op for sure, and I bet that if it has been a total flop, they wouldn't be doing it again.
QdeBees · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 5

Thanks to those who explained it. Sounds like anything but a TRUMPism. Props to REI for giving their employees a paid day off. If they want to reap a little consumer goodwill from it by advertising their idea and humanitarianism, fine w/me. I don't think this costs any of us much. No point in getting irritated. And wouldn't it be something if more retailers saw it this way, instead of promoting a gross hog-feed at the mall?

There are plenty of other days of the year to get a deal on whatever...

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Did someone really post a message pissed off that some random business is closing on a day most try to sell alot of stuff???

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
ViperScale wrote:Did someone really post a message pissed off that some random business is closing on a day most try to sell alot of stuff???
MP the forum that keeps on giving.........giving ...........and giving :/
cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175
Bill Czajkowski wrote:Does anyone else feel like telling Outside and REI to go stick their OptOutside campaign where the sun doesn't shine? I don't appreciate the implied judgement about whatever it is I want to do when I have the freedom to make a decision about it. I wonder if this was Donald Trump's idea.
Sorry but I don't really understand why you are angry at REI?
What are you referring to with "implied judgement about....decision about it"?
Not being critical-just don't understand what you are saying...
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
cragmantoo wrote: Sorry but I don't really understand why you are angry at REI? What are you referring to with "implied judgement about....decision about it"? Not being critical-just don't understand what you are saying...
Cragmantoo,

Let me try to explain - it was an opportunity for him to hate on both REI and Trump at the same time. He needed to vent. And did.
grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Angry arm chair general here. Subtly different than the standard troll

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Outside/REI Black Friday campaign"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started