Mountain Project Logo

sub freezing curing epoxy

Original Post
Marty Theriault · · Quebec, QC · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 310

Anyone with knowledge of bolting with epoxy under freezing conditions? I have a mixed climbing project that needs some bolts via long threaded rods,is there some specific epoxy that will cure in below 0 deg Celsius temps?

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Theriault wrote:Anyone with knowledge of bolting with epoxy under freezing conditions? I have a mixed climbing project that needs some bolts via long threaded rods,is there some specific epoxy that will cure in below 0 deg Celsius temps?
No, epoxies work worse and worse as the temperature gets lower, about as good as it gets is 5-6°C and that is with special hardener and waiting ages. The problem is the molecules have to cross-link and they move extremely slowly when it is cold and in fact if epoxy gets below zero it starts to crystalise and will never cure, with liquid epoxy you just cook it in a water bath and carry on but for a pre-mixed mortar it´s f#ucked. there are special low-temp epoxies available but not for installing bolts.
There are plenty of hybrid/vinylester and polyester resins on the market that work to -10°C, I´ve used them fine. They generate their own heat to cure so aren´t interested in the ambient temperature particularly. There are some for down to -15° and Fischer FIS SB is rated to -30°C.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "sub freezing curing epoxy"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started