Mountain Project Logo

So Cal Gear Question

Original Post
Toby LM · · Calimesa, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 45

Hi All,

Maybe this belongs in the gear forum and not here, I can move it if needed, but I was hoping to get some advice on places near San Bernardio to buy gear. Specifically rope and sport climbing set up (draws and anchors via slings and cord). REI is expensive and I was wondering if there are better alternatives.

Amazon also sells rope but I rather talk with a sales rep before I invest in a rope so I know it fits my needs.

Thanks,
Keep on on climbing

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Toby,

The best prices for ropes are usually online. Try this place. You can call them and speak to a rep who is knowledgeable about climbing:

shop.alpenglowgear.com/clim…

Also, REI is about the same price as other brick and mortar stores for climbing gear.

But online is significantly less expensive?

Thanks for the reply

Toby LM wrote:But online is significantly less expensive? Thanks for the reply
In my experience, ropes, in particular, are cheaper online. And you can usually find other gear cheaper, too. The level of customer service, helping you choose gear, will vary.

Do you have an experienced partner that can help you? Before you buy much gear, you should spend a fair amount of time with a mentor or experienced partner so you know what you want.

I want to start climbing more and to do so i want to buy the basics, top rope anchor, biners, rope and draws.

I want a durable heavy duty rope I can learn on. Id imagine the thicker the more durable?

Brian M · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 155

Toby if you're not trying to buy this rope immediately I would keep an eye out on this thread mountainproject.com/v/great…

Good deals on ropes are bound to pop up there eventually. And as far as what rope type and such just check outdoor gear lab. Most of the info on there seems to be greater then anything you'll get at a place like REI.

Toby LM wrote:I want to start climbing more and to do so i want to buy the basics, top rope anchor, biners, rope and draws. I want a durable heavy duty rope I can learn on. Id imagine the thicker the more durable?
When you're first starting out, where you're toproping more often, get a thicker rope. 10.2 or 10.5 mm is good, 60 meters will work in most places. Brand doesn't really matter.

Get some instruction so you and your partner don't get hurt.

OUTDOOR GEAR LAB is awesome thanks!!

Frank, ill for sure go with a larger rope.
I have climbed for many years indoor and just recently was taken on a climbing trip to J tree and did some trad following and anchor building with an awesome person!! That one day taught me so much. Between that and anchor books I feel like a can sport and top rope safely. As long as one bolt holds, I feel like I can create a redundant system that is bomber. Several lockers and a quad anchor is likely where I will start.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Cause Mammut cords are not as good as sterling cords....

Toby LM .... before you get sticker shock with all this climbing gear, think about this..... a one day ski lift ticket is almost $100 now days.

A good rope will last you for more than a few years....

and to answer your question.... the person who works at REI most likely knows less than you do about this stuff - after all you have searched for and read about what you want. The REI person only know what they were told to say....

I prefer to use brick and mortar stores.... places where you can see, feel and compare things.

In no special order here are some good places....

Elevations in Lone Pine CA ....Talk to Blair.

Nomad Ventures .... Josh ... a really helpful staff of folks who climb.

I buy from the gear co-op ....becuase I know what I want.

and that rope place listed above is good.... once you know just exactly what you like to use.

Have fun climbing.

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 186

You are looking at a dry treated rope and a non dry treated rope. It is not because Sterling is better than Mammut. I bought a non-treated rope to save money as my first rope but I would suggest spending the extra cash on the nicer rope because it really does last longer.

Here is a link to a video about Mammut rope treatment

Brian M · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 155

One has a dry core and one does not. I bet that where a large percentage of the price difference comes from.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

The best walk-in store for climbing gear in So. Cal. is probably Gear Coop in Orange County. It is also a bit of a haul from the IE.

drjman · · NJC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 2,469

As a member (free) at gear coop, you get 10% off anything. I was told by someone in the store that if you check in with Yelp you get 20% off. Ymmv though. If you want to check stuff out and sit in a harness (or have a free beer and boulder on thursdays) or you absolutely need something today, it's awesome. They also sell all their online returned gear in store up to 70% off.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!! All said, I want a 70m rope, that is dry treated unless the non dry is way way cheaper. Im looking for a 9.8-10mm rope. Good place to start looking. Thanks again for the info, it really has helped.
If I am near the gear COOP I will for sure shop there, but idk if I can wait that long lol

rei.com/product/113458/blac…
Black Diamond 9.9mm Non-Dry Rope
180 bucks for the 70m. Good place to start? thick, long, and nice price.

Sterling Evolution Velocity 9.8mm Dry-Core Climbing Rope
70m rope that is dry treated. 240 bucks. Probably go with this guy.

Here are a couple of better prices for you on 70's:

sierratradingpost.com/beal-…

shop.alpenglowgear.com/beal…

Dry treatment is really unnecessary for everyday cragging. Go cheap. Why would you want to spend $240 on a rope, especially your first one?

Edit: I corrected the last link.

They say dry treated lasts longer than non, like significantly longer.

Wow, those ropes are way cheap!!!! thanks for showing me that. Are these ropes just as "safe" as the others? why the reduction in price?

kevin graves · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 5

www.rowcc.com..........Toby check out our facebook page and our website for both local trips and road trips. We climb Trad, Ice, Walls and sometime even Sport ! Great bunch of folks that you can always find a partner to climb with and expand your climbing range. weclimb@gmail.com. Kevin Graves

Toby LM wrote:They say dry treated lasts longer than non, like significantly longer. Wow, those ropes are way cheap!!!! thanks for showing me that. Are these ropes just as "safe" as the others? why the reduction in price?
Those ropes are just fine. Beal is a well-known brand. Early in your climbing career, you will beat up ropes more easily, especially with toproping. That's why you should opt for cheaper ones.

Those ropes are somewhat discounted, compared to the full retail you were getting ready to pay. Like I said previously, you can find cheaper ropes online.

Lastly, the first rope (in the first link) has some form of dry treatment, but that is not something you should be concerned with, unless you are climbing in the ice, snow or rain.

Go cheap, young man!
Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,970

Agree with Frank. Go with a 10.5 non-dry 60 as cheap as you can find. The fancy treated skinning cords are better suited for the days you've learned to climb and are actually leading routes where weight/flexibility count for something. Also, if you buy online look for discounts when signing up for an email account at the website. Save a few bucks along with free/reduced shipping.

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

Toby,

Also check out Riverside Rock Climbers (link below), not to take anything away from the Rim of the World guys they are pretty great guys too. If you join (a paid account of $5 annually) the Meetup group you get discounted Hanger 18 monthly membership.

By joining either one of the above clube you can make friends and get out climbing without buying too much gear right now. you will also get to climb on different kinds of rope and gear to see what you like.

http://www.meetup.com/Riverside-Rock-Climbers/

Kevin Graves,
Look out for an email from me about your club.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "So Cal Gear Question"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started