Mountain Project Logo

Crampon question

Original Post
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I have ice climbing crampons. Recently I've been invited to to some winter hikes. Question should I get a different crampon for hiking?

Jonathan Awerbuch · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 41

Yes. What kind of hiking? Consider kahtoola microspikes. Hiking in mountain boots and crampons is less fun than hiking in light boots/sneakers and microspikes.

Plus you don't want to dull down your nice ice climbing crampons by hiking.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

And get trekking poles. Crossing ice sucks with a backpack on.

Those spiky rubber cleat things don't look too durable. Maybe if they were made from that magic strap material OR uses for gaiters..

Ericsplosion II · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 246

What kind of crampons do you currently have?
What kind of hiking do you plan to do?
I can't recommend YakTrax, I got two pair free and destroy each on consecutive hikes and they are nearly impossible to repair in the field, unlike microspikes.

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 15

I can't vouch for most of the "spiky rubber cleat things," but my microspikes are great and have held up for several seasons of occasional, heavy use. If you're hiking on trails, mostly on packed snow, they are better, lighter and more comfortable (not to mention less dangerous to your pant legs) than full crampons. If you're getting onto glaciers or steep snowfields, obviously you want something more serious with front points.

Mark Berenblum · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105

What the others said... It depends on what the crampons you use for ice are, what boots you'll wear, and what you're hiking. This might help.

I'd guess you want them to be hinged and to have straps (for attachment to hiking boots).

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

Exactly what kind of crampons do you have and where are you going hiking? Kahtoola micro spikes are great for walking on well packed trails, and you can wear a lighter pair of shoes/boots than with crampons. They've largely replaced crampons for a lot of applications. As you get into steeper terrain and icier conditions (glaciers, steep snowfields, etc.), crampons become more useful, but the crampons used for this sort of thing are not the same as crampons used for high angle ice climbing.

drewdogg2112 · · halifax, MA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 20

I love MicroSpikes and I climbed (very stupidly and I do not recommend)Flume slide last winter in just Microspikes and a mountaineering axe. Very delicately and slow but I made it.
I don't (at the moment) do any serious ice climbing past WI3 and I find my Petzl Vassek crampons are fantastic for steep snow climbs- moderate ice. YOu can also get them with choice of attachment options, strap on, step in, or a hybrid clip in heel with a strap over toe for boots that have a heel welt but don't have a toe welt.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Crampon question"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started