Mountain Project Logo

Petzl Caritool - Large or Small

Original Post
John Vanek · · Gardnerville, NV · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

I'm curious if anyone has opinions on the two sizes of Caritool Petzl makes?

I believe the Petzl small (regular?) is the same size as the BD.

JV

Caleb Mallory · · Seattle, N.Carolina, &Hong… · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

I have both and honestly I hardly use the larger one. It does serve nicely for racking more screws and as a tool/axe holder, and its actually not as ridiculously large as I had first perceived from pictures online. Have you seen this yet? Looking forward to trying it out: petzl.com/US/en/Sport/New/C…

Edit: This may help -

Comparison
George W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 8

Yes, the small one is closer in size to the BD one. Mind you the Petzl one has a thicker spine so it doesn't fit well in BD harness' (at least that's the case in the Couloir harness I own).

John Vanek · · Gardnerville, NV · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

I didn't think about the fit with the harness; good point. But I use a Petzl harness anyway.

JV

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Me likey the new Caritool Evo!

I could see installing one on the back of your harness for long screws to be used at the belays.

Harry Richardson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 125

Observation #1 Was leading an ice route with about 6 screws loaded into Caritool Evo and went to unclip a screw....due to my body position, the number of screws on the Caritoo Evo and who knows what else, the gate of the Caritool Evo came unclipped on one side and was dangling open...gently worked it back into place without spilling contents...Observation #2 Was following an ice route and cleaning the pro...gently tapped the top of the ice screw on top of the new Caritool Evo to see if it would clear out the ice core and the wire gate came unclipped from one side of the nylon frame...reached down and easily pulled the other side out...put the wire gate in pocket and continued racking screws on the other side of harness on the other Caritool Evo minus the tapping to clear the core...went home and reinstalled the wire gate and added a few wraps of electrical tape to help keep the wire gate under a bit more tension and hopefully stay put...so far, so good...racked and un-racked screws last session with no problems

Dan Africk · · Brooklyn, New York · Joined May 2014 · Points: 285
Harry Richardson wrote:

Observation #1 Was leading an ice route with about 6 screws loaded into Caritool Evo and went to unclip a screw....due to my body position, the number of screws on the Caritoo Evo and who knows what else, the gate of the Caritool Evo came unclipped on one side and was dangling open...gently worked it back into place without spilling contents...Observation #2 Was following an ice route and cleaning the pro...gently tapped the top of the ice screw on top of the new Caritool Evo to see if it would clear out the ice core and the wire gate came unclipped from one side of the nylon frame...reached down and easily pulled the other side out...put the wire gate in pocket and continued racking screws on the other side of harness on the other Caritool Evo minus the tapping to clear the core...went home and reinstalled the wire gate and added a few wraps of electrical tape to help keep the wire gate under a bit more tension and hopefully stay put...so far, so good...racked and un-racked screws last session with no problems

I have a brand new Caritool Evo, and after reading your comment took a look at how the wire gate is attached.. and it isn't. Gently pulling sideways on the base of the gate pops out the wire remarkably easily, there's nothing but spring tension holding it in. I would much prefer the wires went all the way through the plastic and had the ends flared, like on wiregate carabiners, but perhaps having the holes all the way through would weaken the plastic too much. 

I don't know if this would ever be an issue in normal use, but I will be sure to avoid tapping the Caritool or messing with that gate in any way. If it ever comes loose in the field I will tape it as well, but for now I'll see how it holds up on it's own. Thanks for letting us know!

JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90
Harry Richardson wrote:

Not just the evo, had the wire gate on my regular evo come out from under the nylon and hang open for until i realized it was open and quickly popped it back. Nothing lost but not thrilled by the mishap. 

Dylan Pike · · SLC, UT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 35

My buddy has two petzl clippers. One is missing the gate and the other has a gate that pops off frequently.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply